The largest independent, non-commercial, consumer-oriented resource on the Internet for owners, collectors and enthusiasts of fine wristwatches. Online since 1998.
Informational Websites ChronoMaddox -- the legacy of Chuck Maddox OnTheDash -- vintage Heuer website Zowie -- Omega information
Discussion Forums ChronoMaddox Forum Heuer Forum Omega Forum
Counterfeit Watchers ChronoTools Forum ChronoTrader Forum

zOwie Omega Discussion Forum

Opened July 1999, zOwie is the Internet's first and longest running discussion forum dedicated to Omega brand watches.

Feel free to discuss pricing and specific dealers. But 'for sale' postings, commercial solicitation and ads are not allowed. Full archive of all messages is accessible through options in the Search and Preferences features. Privacy, policies and administrivia are covered in the Terms of Use.

For the answer to the NUMBER #1 most frequently asked question here--for details or value of a specific older Omega watch you have--go to: Tell Me About My Omega. Learn more about How To Include Photos and HTML In Your Postings. To contact someone with a question not relevant to other readers of the forum, please click on their email address and contact them privately.

OLD SALT Chicagoland Chuck Maddox reporting in...

"long timers"/ "regulars" - Introduce yourself ! Posted By: SteveW62

Date: 10/15/07 08:17:27 GMT

Hi guys,

I'm sure we have plenty of newcomers/lurkers here who would like to know a bit about us.

Here's you chance.

I'm 45 hence the 62 in my "name" ), married with an 8 y.o. son . I'm British & have lived in Germany for 16 years now. My wife & son are German.

[Snip]

I became co-moderator of the forum a couple of years ago, along with Keith Downing, who -understandably - due to a house move & job change, has reduced his internet activity to practically zero.

Let me take the opportunity right here to thank you Steve for your continued service and efforts in this forum, in other forums and the Omega Community at large. Jeff and I greatly appreciate your continued work, insight and interactions.

And I'd also like to post a public shout-out to Keith Downing. We all hope you're doing well, that Marnee the kids and yourself are adjusting well to your cross-country journeys and state that we miss your posts and counsel and there is always a place at the table for you here.

I have a small website ( yes, it could be bigger ! that hosts various Omega brochures, manuals, adverts & Catalogues etc => www.Old-Omegas.com

Steve, every time I visit your site looking for something I'm blown away by the materials you make available to the Omega Community. You are a valued asset to the Omega Community.

Future "wants" ... actually watchwise there are very few. I have most of the Omegas that I want. Although a black dial GMT seamaster would be nice ..... & a black dialed f300 diver..... & a 1000M .... & a Grey dialed 70's diver..... "ENOUGH !"..... OK. I want more!

Which reminds me, we need to have a "Flea Market Weekend again soon in the forum, I think we were supposed to have one at the end of last month, so we need to schedule a make-up Market!

I have also promised ( myself & my wife ) that I will never start with "Heuers", although I do sneak a look over at our sister Heuer forum most weeks ( Hi Jeff, Hi Chuck )

Hi Steve!

You have to buy one, just for a taste... Perhaps a nice 510.500...

or something similar...

So, Regulars, introduce yourselves...

Thank you for the invitation, Steve!

My name is Chuck Maddox. I'm 46, Single with no offspring and I live in the Far Western Suburbs of the City of Chicago [one helluva town]

[The Chicago Skyline from out past one of the fresh water induction cribs [dark island/building in the foreground]. These cribs are located about 3 miles east of the shoreline so you have an idea as to the scale and perspective.]

Here is the most recent picture of me, with a couple of friends. Sadly we lost the fellow on the right at the age of 84 back in May...

[Charlie Duke [LM Pilot Apollo 16], Myself, Wally Schirra [Mercury Sigma 7, Gemini 6a, Apollo 7 at LA Omegamania event in February 2007]

Having grown up in the 1960's and 1970's in America, son of a father who was a "Gearhead" and I was an avid follower of the US Space program, I have had a lifelong interest and fascination with Chronograph watches.

I started seriously collecting Chronographs in early 1999 and mainly restrict my purchases to 3-Register Sporting chronographs, although there are of course, exceptions which prove that rule. My collection reflects my background and Omega and Heuer [of all stripes] are the most prominent brands in my collection. But I also have chronographs in my collection from Longines, Porsche Design [both Orfina and IWC], Certina, Zodiac, Zenith Tissot, Gallet, Nivada [and Nivada Gretchen], Sinn, Fortis, Tudor and many other brands. I don't own a Rolex [although I do have a great respect for the brand] and with the price of admission, I doubt I'll ever own a Rolex, unless I have a windfall of cash. Oh to have a bunch of $100 bills to fall in my lap.

I have been fairly active in the various watch discussion forums since I started collecting. The bulk of my participation has been in Omega discussion forums and over at Chronocentric / ZOWIE's sister forum the OnTheDash Heuer Discussion forum, where I help out owner and Big Kahuna Jeff Stein moderate the forum over there. In addition, I moderate the other forums under the Chronocentric umbrella, but I try to keep from cramping Steve [and Keith''s] moderation style over here and I typically wear my "participant not a moderator" hat here except to squash spam, or emergencies.

But I consider myself a student on the topics at hand, for I am learning all sorts of new things all the time!

I host a page of watch related links [see the footer for a link], a page of articles which I've written and present, a blog of my watch collecting journeys, and my website also serves as a [sup]repository of archives, pictures and other miscellaneous gunk for a better word. I have co-written with Jeff Stein a couple of articles on Collecting watches, I was fortunate enough to Interview Wally Schirra in February of this year [an archive page of that experience is in the works as I type], and am currently wrapping up work on the first part of a multipart article on the 50 years of the Omega Speedmaster which will appear in an upcoming issue of IW magazine [where my previous articles co-authored with Jeff and the Wally Schirra Interview appeared in print].

I also seek a number of chronographs, I don't have a list handy, but I promise to type one up in time for the next Flea Market weekend here on Chronocentric/OTD.

I also am available via email [and sometimes even AOL Instant Messaging to discuss chronographs. I include my email address in most of my messages and I try to answer emails promptly [at least when my DSL connection is cooperating [Monday it wasn't for the most part...]. Don't be shy, but I would request that anyone emailing me be considerate of my time and include pictures if making queries for advice [or links] if possible.

I think that's about it. Of course there is more details to all of this, but I've probably already bored y'all to tears...

Thank you all for reading, your continued participation, and to Jeff, and Steve for making all of this possible.

Cheers and Good Hunting!

-- Chuck

ChuckMaddox

Chronographs, like most finer things in life, only improve with time...
Watch Article Index:http://www.xnet.com/~cmaddox/cm3articles.html,
WatchLinks Page:http://www.xnet.com/~cmaddox/watch.html,
WatchBlog:http://chuckmaddoxwatch.blogspot.com/.

Current Position
Chronocentric and zOwie site design and contents (c) Copyright 1998-2005, Derek Ziglar; Copyright 2005-2008, Jeffrey M. Stein. All rights reserved. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of the terms of use. CONTACT | TERMS OF USE | TRANSLATE