The largest independent, non-commercial, consumer-oriented resource on the Internet for owners, collectors and enthusiasts of fine wristwatches. Online since 1998.
Informational Websites ChronoMaddox -- the legacy of Chuck Maddox OnTheDash -- vintage Heuer website Zowie -- Omega information
Discussion Forums ChronoMaddox Forum Heuer Forum Omega Forum
Counterfeit Watchers ChronoTools Forum ChronoTrader Forum

zOwie Omega Discussion Forum

Opened July 1999, zOwie is the Internet's first and longest running discussion forum dedicated to Omega brand watches.

Feel free to discuss pricing and specific dealers. But 'for sale' postings, commercial solicitation and ads are not allowed. Full archive of all messages is accessible through options in the Search and Preferences features. Privacy, policies and administrivia are covered in the Terms of Use.

For the answer to the NUMBER #1 most frequently asked question here--for details or value of a specific older Omega watch you have--go to: Tell Me About My Omega. Learn more about How To Include Photos and HTML In Your Postings. To contact someone with a question not relevant to other readers of the forum, please click on their email address and contact them privately.

Some extended thoughts...

Teutonic & related ) fans - New Info ! *PICS* Posted By:SteveW62 Date: 10/21/07 10:56 GMT

Hi Guys,

I recently came into possesion of "parts" of an '83 '84 & '85 Omegas dealers binder. There are hundreds of pages in it.

Here are some scans that will interest Teutonic / Speedmaster fans.

This scan is dated 1 July '84

About the date on this page... 1.07.84 which would probably be in the European parsing meaning: 1 July 1984. [or January 7th, 1984 if using the American custom]...

what is so interesting ?

Firstly. Have you ever seen a 1045 movement with a 2 character day ?

No, I can't say I have Steve. VERY sharp eye and very interesting!

This would suggest to me that the "teutonic" was maybe not originally just intended for German speaking markets.

Hmmm... Well...

English:

French:

German:

Italian:

Portugese:

Spanish:

Sunday

Dimanche

Sonntag

Domenica

Domingo

Domingo

Monday

Lundi

Montag

Luned

Segunda-feira

Lunes

Tuesday

Mardi

Dienstag

Marted

Tera-feira

Martes

Wednesday

Mercredi

Mittwoch

Mercoled

Quarta-feira

Mircoles

Thursday

Jeudi

Donnerstag

Gioved

Quinta-feira

Jueves

Friday

Vendredi

Freitag

Venerd

Sexta-feira

Viernes

Saturday

Samedi

Samstag

Sabato

Sabado

Sabado

FR works for both Freitag and Friday... But not for much of anything else...

Or maybe this was a prototype.

That could well be...

Whatever, this watch never came on the market like this.

I've never seen one with that style of Day wheel, that's for sure. It almost looks a bit like the 176.0017 prototype's day wheel:

Trend or just happenstance?

Secondly, This Dealers catalogue came to me from the UK !

Cool, and it's in English. Which is revealing, but then again, you come to Germany from the UK too!

;-)

Thirdly, look at the top left corner. as late as 1984, Omega still considered the Speedmaster to be a "sub-line" of the Seamaster range.

Yup, I know the caseback's changed to Speedmaster by the time of the Titanium Moonphase though.

This scan is from march 1985.

This time the date on this page... 1.03.85 which would probably be in the European parsing meaning: 3 March 1985. [or January 3rd, 1984 if using the American custom]...

The comments made above are also valid for this scan.

There is also a pricelist, dated 15 April '85, in the binder. It is in a mixture of English & French & there is no currency mentioned anywhere.

The 376.0806 is listed with a price of 1100, the "normal" speedy 145.022 ) fitted with a leather strap is listed with a price of 750.

So the Mark V is priced at a premium compared to the moonwatch.

The next scans are a completely new watch that ( as far as I know ) has never been seen before.

This one is news to me...

I have seen a "plain" titanium version. It is shown in the German '84 Catalogue.

& there is one on display in the Omega Museum in Bienne.

However on the museum example, the digital window is a fake, aluminium foil, stuck onto the dial.

However, the movement used for that watch did exist and in fact, I own an example of that movement:

So, the movement did exist and quite possibly was made by Lemania [of all firms]!

I mean count the number of Quartz Lemania watches you've ever seen in your life...

One... That's it for me!

So, back to the Titanium/Gold version ... It is briefly mentioned in the German Catalogue, but no Info other than that.

Very interesting.

I don't believe that Omega made either of these watches for the General public ( ie they never got past the Prototype / catalogue phase ) , but who knows.... maybe 1 or 2 escaped the factory !

As evidenced by my Lemania dialed example utilizing this movement, it was possible for Omega to have produced a watch with this movement. In fact, it's something of a surprise that they didn't, at least for the Seamaster line anyway. The movement existed, it looks like the preparatory work on cases had been completed, all that was necessary would have been to start production and shoot them out the door. I think in the Analog-Digital 1980's a 100th of a Second Seamaster or Speedmaster would have sold decently.

Now shows us your Teutonic Speedies !!

¿shows? =) Here's a low res view of my spread:

With a close up of my Mark V:

Steve

-- Chuck

Chuck Maddox

Watch Article Index: http://www.xnet.com/~cmaddox/cm3articles.html,
Watch Links Page: http://www.xnet.com/~cmaddox/watch.html,
Watch Blog: http://chuckmaddoxwatch.blogspot.com/.
Chronographs, like most finer things in life, only improve with time...

Current Position
Chronocentric and zOwie site design and contents (c) Copyright 1998-2005, Derek Ziglar; Copyright 2005-2008, Jeffrey M. Stein. All rights reserved. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of the terms of use. CONTACT | TERMS OF USE | TRANSLATE