The largest independent, non-commercial, consumer-oriented resource on the Internet for owners, collectors and enthusiasts of fine wristwatches. Online since 1998.
Informational Websites ChronoMaddox -- the legacy of Chuck Maddox OnTheDash -- vintage Heuer website Zowie -- Omega information
Discussion Forums ChronoMaddox Forum Heuer Forum Omega Forum
Counterfeit Watchers ChronoTools Forum ChronoTrader Forum

zOwie Omega Discussion Forum

Opened July 1999, zOwie is the Internet's first and longest running discussion forum dedicated to Omega brand watches.

Feel free to discuss pricing and specific dealers. But 'for sale' postings, commercial solicitation and ads are not allowed. Full archive of all messages is accessible through options in the Search and Preferences features. Privacy, policies and administrivia are covered in the Terms of Use.

For the answer to the NUMBER #1 most frequently asked question here--for details or value of a specific older Omega watch you have--go to: Tell Me About My Omega. Learn more about How To Include Photos and HTML In Your Postings. To contact someone with a question not relevant to other readers of the forum, please click on their email address and contact them privately.

Its common with Swiss Quartz movements

First off, If you got that watch for your engagement, you picked the right woman, congratulations on that.

Next, yes, the quartz movements on Omega and other Swiss timepieces seem to have a common issue of the seconds hand not "hitting the mark". This has been discussed ad nauseum on several other Omega forums and the common consensus seems to be that some find it normal, some see it as a defect. On commenter on another forum wrote:

"I dropped by a Watch shop today and looked at a number of Omegas, Tissots, Tags, and Swiss Army watches. I was suprised at the number of quartz watches from each brand that had second hands that were off. Kinda makes me feel better when I notice my Swiss Army watch is a little bit off on the second hand or even the hour hand being off in a couple of locations. It seems to be a frequent thing. I would say that 2/3 of the watches I saw today were off on the second hand."

So, its not just Omega specific. I would take it back to the dealer and see if he has any other quartz pieces in stock that don't line up. If so, they you have an answer of the commonality of the issue. If not, then I would see if he will replace it for you. You may get lucky enough to get one that does actually line up. Rest assured, the Omega quartz movement is a very fine movement, but this would annoy me too.

If it bothers you that much, ask him to upgrade you to the automatic, but beware, automatics do require routine service and will cost a lot more than quartz in the long run.

Current Position
Chronocentric and zOwie site design and contents (c) Copyright 1998-2005, Derek Ziglar; Copyright 2005-2008, Jeffrey M. Stein. All rights reserved. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of the terms of use. CONTACT | TERMS OF USE | TRANSLATE