The largest independent, non-commercial, consumer-oriented resource on the Internet for owners, collectors and enthusiasts of fine wristwatches. Online since 1998.
Informational Websites ChronoMaddox -- the legacy of Chuck Maddox OnTheDash -- vintage Heuer website Zowie -- Omega information
Discussion Forums ChronoMaddox Forum Heuer Forum Omega Forum
Counterfeit Watchers ChronoTools Forum ChronoTrader Forum

zOwie Omega Discussion Forum

Opened July 1999, zOwie is the Internet's first and longest running discussion forum dedicated to Omega brand watches.

Feel free to discuss pricing and specific dealers. But 'for sale' postings, commercial solicitation and ads are not allowed. Full archive of all messages is accessible through options in the Search and Preferences features. Privacy, policies and administrivia are covered in the Terms of Use.

For the answer to the NUMBER #1 most frequently asked question here--for details or value of a specific older Omega watch you have--go to: Tell Me About My Omega. Learn more about How To Include Photos and HTML In Your Postings. To contact someone with a question not relevant to other readers of the forum, please click on their email address and contact them privately.

Off topic -- 2 non-Omegas, but one chronograph

Two acquisitions which arrived yesterday

A sister company to Omega, with a common marketing arrangement and later common ownership since the 1920s

1955 Tissot World Timer, cased in 18k yellow

The inner dial rotates on a 24 hour pace and you read the time in the marked cities on the 24 hour applied mixed Arabic and dart indices. The hands move at a 12 hour pace and are read on the bezel.

Just got it yesterday, and it proved difficult to photo. I only had time for relatively quick snaps.

The reference book shows the bezel appearance much better than my photo

You pull the crown to set the time and press the button @ 2 and it disengages the hands and the 24 hour disk, allowing you to set a proper offset between the 24 hour and 12 hour indicators.

Unlike a GMT, you set the "offset" between 12 and 24 hours indications once and just change the hands to local time. The time back home is still easily readable from the inner disk.

Above, the local time is about 9 pm. Since I am on East Coast USA, New York is shown at 21:15 on the real watch dial, reading the inner disk on the 24 hour indices. The UK for instance, is shown by Greenwich at 2:15.

Incidentally, the photo in the book shows the time offset by a half hour, which the watch is capable of doing. Local time is 10:12 and Greenwich time is 2:42. Less so now, but during the 1950s there were a number of time zones which were n + 0:30 from Greenwich time.

The other watch is also interesting, a Dubey and Schaldenbrand Index Mobile Rattrapante from the 1960s, with a pink gold capped case and interesting copper dial

What does "Index Mobile" mean

The split seconds function is activated by pressing the co-axial button in the crown, which stops the second chronograph hand as long as you hold it. This springs causes the hand to "fly back" to the first hand.

Invented in 1948, this was an innovative and inexpensive way to accomplish the very expensive rattrapante function.

Messages In This Thread

Off topic -- 2 non-Omegas, but one chronograph
Re: Off topic -- 2 non-Omegas, but one chronograph
Current Position
Chronocentric and zOwie site design and contents (c) Copyright 1998-2005, Derek Ziglar; Copyright 2005-2008, Jeffrey M. Stein. All rights reserved. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of the terms of use. CONTACT | TERMS OF USE | TRANSLATE