The largest independent, non-commercial, consumer-oriented resource on the Internet for owners, collectors and enthusiasts of fine wristwatches. Online since 1998.
Informational Websites ChronoMaddox -- the legacy of Chuck Maddox OnTheDash -- vintage Heuer website Zowie -- Omega information
Discussion Forums ChronoMaddox Forum Heuer Forum Omega Forum
Counterfeit Watchers ChronoTools Forum ChronoTrader Forum

zOwie Omega Discussion Forum

Opened July 1999, zOwie is the Internet's first and longest running discussion forum dedicated to Omega brand watches.

Feel free to discuss pricing and specific dealers. But 'for sale' postings, commercial solicitation and ads are not allowed. Full archive of all messages is accessible through options in the Search and Preferences features. Privacy, policies and administrivia are covered in the Terms of Use.

For the answer to the NUMBER #1 most frequently asked question here--for details or value of a specific older Omega watch you have--go to: Tell Me About My Omega. Learn more about How To Include Photos and HTML In Your Postings. To contact someone with a question not relevant to other readers of the forum, please click on their email address and contact them privately.

A New Year, and a New Forum Moderator!

A New Year, and a New Forum Moderator!

For the past two years ZOWIE/Omega Discussion Forum has had a tandem management team that Jeff Stein and I announced once we were able to establish physical control of the Chronocentric.com domain in the wake of Derek Ziglar's sudden death.

Keith Downing and Steve Waddington were named as the moderators of the ZOWIE Omega Discussion Forum approximately two years ago. Jeff Stein and I have continued on as Moderators over at ZOWIE's sister forum: the OnTheDash Heuer discussion forum. Jeff and I also have taken on roles oversight moderation, where if someone has an issue with a moderator action [or inaction] they can take it to either one of us. Lastly, due to instances when the regular moderators here have been unavailable, Jeff and I [mainly myself] have stepped in and served as a "relief moderator] while the formal moderators have been away from net access.

As we enter the year 2008, some of this is changing some of this is going to stay the same.

Keith Downing: As some regulars in the Omega community have noticed, Keith Downing's participation in the Omega community has waned from a couple of years ago. Keith moved his family across country [Los Angeles area to Dallas Texas area and back] twice in the past couple of years. In addition he's exchanged his employment from a "self- employed work at home" style of employment to a more formal 9 to 5 style job. As a result his ability to participate has changed greatly. Both Jeff and I want it to me known that as far as we are concerned Keith remains a moderator in good standing with us, and we consider him simply to be on an extended leave of absence. Should he be interested in resuming a more active role here, Keith will be welcome.

Steve Waddington has done, simply a bang up job. As with Keith, both Jeff and I are very satisfied with his efforts, expertise and performance here on ZOWIE and he is graciously continuing on with his duties here. So we have continuity of moderation to look forward to here in the Omega Discussion forum.

Many of you have noticed, my personal participation has increased here recently in the Omega discussion forum compared to what it was before Derek's death. I have taken turns at guest moderation when Steve has been on vacation or working in Italy or the USA for example. While I fully expect to continue to fill-in as needed and necessary, I am not expecting to add formal moderation duties here in the Omega discussion forum, which I am sure will be good news to some [it is for me, because I'm very busy these days], and I will be continuing over at OTD in the Heuer discussion forum and on the other forums [ChronoTrader and Counterfeit Watchers] as I have been the past few years. However, I will continue to check the forum several regularly to zap SPAM posts.

Recently, both Steve and Jeff Stein approached me in separate conversations [Steve in AOL IM, Jeff via phone] asking me the same couple of questions...

"How do you feel about the idea of adding a moderator to ZOWIE Omega Discussion forum?" To which I said, yes it was a good idea, we need to have a second active moderator there. The second question was "How do you feel about [ person's name ] as a possibility to fill that role. OK, with the preamble out of the way, here it is:

I'd like to announce the addition of Sam Hewitt as a moderator of the ZOWIE / Omega Discussion Forum and to the Chronocentric.com / OnTheDash.com moderation/management team.

Sam Hewitt: Many of you will know Sam from his participation both at TimeZone.com and Watch-U-Seek.com Omega discussion forums, under the name HewyBaby. Sam is a long time Omega owner and has a wide ranging interest in Omegas that isn't limited to mainly Chronographs [Chuck] or Tool Watches [Steve]. Sam has interests in more uncommon and dressier watches than either Steve or I do, and we all feel that the range of on staff expertise will expand with Sam's addition. Sam has recently increased his participation here at Chronocentric, in part, as he has been learning his way around this community.

When Steve and Jeff asked me about my feelings/opinions about Sam my reply was, "He prevokes me to rather lengthy replies to his posts... Which isn't necessarily a bad thing". Sam is adept at posing a thought, query or proposal which starts earnest and spirited conversations. These types of discussions were something that used to be the norm in Omega Discussion forums on-line and sadly is something of an endangered species these days. We have long wished for better, longer and more interesting discussion threads here in ZOWIE and hopefully I'm not putting too much pressure on Sam for typing all of this, but perhaps with Sam's addition we may see a revival of that type of forum.

As Steve is based out of Germany, with regular jaunts to Italy, the UK and USA, and Sam is based in Atlanta, just like Jeff. We maintain some of the geographical diversity that we've enjoyed for purposes of killing SPAM posts and moderation attention which we feel is useful. With both Steve and Sam, we have backup... something we we've enjoyed with the recent management/moderation scheme. I believe this team is a good combination for the forum, while they complement each other and the forum's needs well.

Jeff and I do plan to remain participants here [with our watch enthusiast caps on as much as possible]. Over here, I'm expecting Sam and Steve to keep us in line! =) If someone has issues with our choices, or has suggestions for future consideration, please feel free to contact either Jeff or me. We have an open mind about the future... Jeff and I will continue to moderate OnTheDash, ChronoTrader, and CounterfeitWatchers, Forums. Jeff and I will also continue in the role of oversight moderation... Day to day, or "Tactical" moderation will be Sam and Steve's call, while Jeff and I will be overall "umbrella"/Strategic moderators who for the most part stay out of daily administrative affairs of this Forum, except in obvious/extreme cases, when we see obvious Spam begging to be deleted or when either or both Steve and/or Sam are unavailable.

Our goal continues to be keeping the Omega Discussion Forum something that Derek would have enjoyed participating in -- fun, informative, free, polite and family friendly. And further continue this discussion forum and hopefully to build and expand Chronocentric as needs and interests direct.

Please welcome Sam to his new position, take the opportunity to thank Steve for his continued service and lastly...

Please take good care of them, as good moderators are very difficult to find!

Cheers!

-- Chuck

Chuck Maddox

Chronographs, like most finer things in life, only improve with time...
Watch Article index: http://www.xnet.com/~cmaddox/cm3articles.html,
Watch Links Page: http://www.xnet.com/~cmaddox/watch.html,
Watch Blog: http://chuckmaddoxwatch.blogspot.com/.

Non-Pasadena Pasadena Stainless 7750

Current Position
Chronocentric and zOwie site design and contents (c) Copyright 1998-2005, Derek Ziglar; Copyright 2005-2008, Jeffrey M. Stein. All rights reserved. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of the terms of use. CONTACT | TERMS OF USE | TRANSLATE