The largest independent, non-commercial, consumer-oriented resource on the Internet for owners, collectors and enthusiasts of fine wristwatches. Online since 1998.
Informational Websites ChronoMaddox -- the legacy of Chuck Maddox OnTheDash -- vintage Heuer website Zowie -- Omega information
Discussion Forums ChronoMaddox Forum Heuer Forum Omega Forum
Counterfeit Watchers ChronoTools Forum ChronoTrader Forum

zOwie Omega Discussion Forum

Opened July 1999, zOwie is the Internet's first and longest running discussion forum dedicated to Omega brand watches.

Feel free to discuss pricing and specific dealers. But 'for sale' postings, commercial solicitation and ads are not allowed. Full archive of all messages is accessible through options in the Search and Preferences features. Privacy, policies and administrivia are covered in the Terms of Use.

For the answer to the NUMBER #1 most frequently asked question here--for details or value of a specific older Omega watch you have--go to: Tell Me About My Omega. Learn more about How To Include Photos and HTML In Your Postings. To contact someone with a question not relevant to other readers of the forum, please click on their email address and contact them privately.

The responsibility of an expert . . .

Rodney is here to serve a noble purpose. Watch forums are like internet dating sites. Unless you post a photo, you don't get any traffic.

Thanks, Rodney!

As some of you know, I'm co-moderator of this forum. This implies (perhaps falsely) that I have some expertise in Omega watches.

I will confess only to loving Omega watches, having a general familiarity with most topics that commonly come up, knowing where to look for the things I don't know (I'm a decent researcher)and knowing who to ask when I have no idea. There are a few areas in which I will claim modest expertise. Which areas are irrelevant to this discussion. :)

When you hold yourself out as an expert, or are in a position where you are expected to have a certain level of expertise, I think you take on certain responsibilities to those around you who believe you are an expert or have greater knowledge.

Or do you? This has been a topic of conversation among people whom I consider true experts, and is a source of some discomfort at times to all of them.

Those responsibilities might include:

A -- You have a responsibility to those who regard you as an expert to carefully watch what you say. Although, sometimes, even that is not enough.

B -- Your remarks need to carefully delineate:

1) what you know,
2) what you believe and
3) what is your opinion.

C -- Others may regard a watch you are trying to sell as having been subject to careful gradation and restoration; after all it was owned by an expert!

Examples to illustrate each responsibility help:

A

While I don't consider myself an expert, I am conscious of not extending my remarks beyond my level of knowledge. If I have doubt, I try to say so, and cite sources for things I believe might be contested.

Someone might actually believe me when I'm wrong . . .

It's easy to forget and just say what you think without proper documentation so you aren't misinterpreted.

I have seen some rather ugly things occur to persons with real knowledge that they have been kind enough to share with many others, free of charge. They were careful in their remarks, sourcing their facts, documenting their beliefs, annotating their opinions.

Some people absolutely delight in "correcting" an expert. And we have seen posters attack an expert for a variety of reasons, none of them good. Careful remarks didn't help in these situations.

B

A self confessed expert recently stated on another forum "Omega never sold that type watch with that type dial". He was wrong -- not because he might not be correct, but because HE CAN'T KNOW.

Omega has no records of what dial was sold with what watch. Movements were shipped uncased to many countries at times to avoid tariffs. So if Omega can't know, how can this so called expert?

So he can't KNOW. He can BELIEVE that is the case, based on his and others experience -- but he needed to say that was the basis for his remark.

Others may differ and have an opposing view. Then it is just his OPINION. In the real life example above, that was the case.

The one thing I have learned from hanging around real experts is that they keep finding exceptions to what they thought Omega did. There don't appear to be many, if any absolutes about Omega watches.

Why does this matter? Two reasons:

1) the irresponsible self proclaimed expert publishes his opinion as fact without qualification or caveat, thus unsuspecting and uncautious newbies read it and believe what they are told and

2) repeat something false enough times and it becomes fact.

Ever heard that Omega plated their vintage movements in rose gold? Antiquorum repeated this myth in a early press release commentary to the Omegamania auction. It ain't so: it's a copper alloy with absolutely no gold in it.

But what do most people believe?

C

I haven't experienced this. I have some watches that have a questionable past and I know it. They're "dicey" at best. I bought them when I was inexperienced and wouldn't buy them today.

What responsibility do I have when I sell one of these "dicey" watches? Do I disclose all I have learned, or simply make sure photographs show all the things I should have seen as a buyer?

I obviously don't have all the answers for these examples or this topic

-- wait -- correction

any of the answers.

But what do you think?

Sam

a self-confessed non-expert

Messages In This Thread

The responsibility of an expert . . .
Re: The responsibility of an expert . . .
Re: The responsibility of an expert . . . *LINK*
Current Position
Chronocentric and zOwie site design and contents (c) Copyright 1998-2005, Derek Ziglar; Copyright 2005-2008, Jeffrey M. Stein. All rights reserved. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of the terms of use. CONTACT | TERMS OF USE | TRANSLATE