The largest independent, non-commercial, consumer-oriented resource on the Internet for owners, collectors and enthusiasts of fine wristwatches. Online since 1998.
Informational Websites ChronoMaddox -- the legacy of Chuck Maddox OnTheDash -- vintage Heuer website Zowie -- Omega information
Discussion Forums ChronoMaddox Forum Heuer Forum Omega Forum
Counterfeit Watchers ChronoTools Forum ChronoTrader Forum

zOwie Omega Discussion Forum

Opened July 1999, zOwie is the Internet's first and longest running discussion forum dedicated to Omega brand watches.

Feel free to discuss pricing and specific dealers. But 'for sale' postings, commercial solicitation and ads are not allowed. Full archive of all messages is accessible through options in the Search and Preferences features. Privacy, policies and administrivia are covered in the Terms of Use.

For the answer to the NUMBER #1 most frequently asked question here--for details or value of a specific older Omega watch you have--go to: Tell Me About My Omega. Learn more about How To Include Photos and HTML In Your Postings. To contact someone with a question not relevant to other readers of the forum, please click on their email address and contact them privately.

Re: Constellation Chronograph
In Response To: Constellation Chronograph ()

: 1. Quartz watches are usually less expensive
: than mechanical ones. The SS Constellation
: Chronograph, however, is more expensive than
: the SS Speedmaster or the SS Seamaster
: Chronograph. Why?

The actual cost of the movement in the watch is a nominal portion of the price. Most quartz movements cost under $50, most mechanical movements under $100. This unique hybrid movement probably does cost more, but not that much.

Much of what you see in the pricing differences come from pricing strategies. Omega--like most everyone else--prices their products relative to their competition and the value/prestige image the watch creates.

You will notice that many of Omega's dress watches are more expensive than the comparable sports models--even those that use the exact same movement!

: maintenance servicing, should it be treated
: as a quartz or mechanical watch?

Quartz. The mechanical portions are only under load while the chronograph is in use. So they will have very little wear from use.

: 3. Does this watch, or any Omega quartz watch,
: take generic batteries, such as those from
: Duracell or Energizer?

I believe most modern watches take the fairly standard size watch batteries available from those brands. Some manufacturers try to press you to use only the batteries they have certified (or agreed to co-market). A few prestige brands (such as Rolex and Ebel) have been reported to refuse warranty service on their quartz models that have had unofficial replacement batteries.

But I have never heard of such from Omega.

: 4. Any experience or knowledgeable comments on
: the Piguet 1270 caliber?

I have seen some very positive reviews of other watches that use this movement. Try doing an Internet search for +1270 +Piguet and see what you find.

Current Position
Chronocentric and zOwie site design and contents (c) Copyright 1998-2005, Derek Ziglar; Copyright 2005-2008, Jeffrey M. Stein. All rights reserved. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of the terms of use. CONTACT | TERMS OF USE | TRANSLATE