The largest independent, non-commercial, consumer-oriented resource on the Internet for owners, collectors and enthusiasts of fine wristwatches. Online since 1998.
Informational Websites ChronoMaddox -- the legacy of Chuck Maddox OnTheDash -- vintage Heuer website Zowie -- Omega information
Discussion Forums ChronoMaddox Forum Heuer Forum Omega Forum
Counterfeit Watchers ChronoTools Forum ChronoTrader Forum

zOwie Omega Discussion Forum

Opened July 1999, zOwie is the Internet's first and longest running discussion forum dedicated to Omega brand watches.

Feel free to discuss pricing and specific dealers. But 'for sale' postings, commercial solicitation and ads are not allowed. Full archive of all messages is accessible through options in the Search and Preferences features. Privacy, policies and administrivia are covered in the Terms of Use.

For the answer to the NUMBER #1 most frequently asked question here--for details or value of a specific older Omega watch you have--go to: Tell Me About My Omega. Learn more about How To Include Photos and HTML In Your Postings. To contact someone with a question not relevant to other readers of the forum, please click on their email address and contact them privately.

A smooth sweep second . . . . or is it?

I saw a poster on another forum post a very cool photo using a one second exposure. So, it got me to thinking about my Deville co-axials. By the way, I am no master of Photoshop -- so what you see is pretty much what the camera captured. It was a very enjoyable experience to play around like this.

You may know there is a calibre 2500B and 2500C, which differed in the B version being 8 beats per second/28,800 and the C being 7 beats a second/25,200.

The Deville above is a 2500B and runs at 8 beats a second, which you can see at higher magnification.

A half second exposure is a little easier to see:

I like this one, but should have cleaned the watch better!!

Next I tried to get my Deville GMT, which has a 2628C, running at 7 beats a second/25,200 and the Deville above set to the same time and get a photo of both second hands with a one second exposure.

Another shot

Close ups of each hand, 7 beat 2628C GMT on left, 8 beat 2500B on the right

Before moving on, I just loved the lighting on the blued second hand on the 2500B

So, what about chronographs?

5 beat a second/18,000 1940s Lusserna, with a Lemania equivalent of Omega calibre 321

Another vintage, a Dubey & Schaldenbrand, index-mobile rattrapante, based on a 5 beat per second/18,000 Landeron chronograph movement

Modern chronographs have a faster beat -- 6 beats a second/21,600 Snoopy Speedy Pro

Says something about the visibility of the Speedy dial -- this was far and away the easiest to photograph.

The beat doesn't seem even on this one does it? I'll have to check another Speedy and see if it is a characteristic of the 1861 to beat like that.

Here's an 861 in a Speedy Mark II

Hmmm, the Snoopy may need some work -- what do you think?

A contemporary of the Mark II, the Speedy 125 had the 8 beat a second/28,800 calibre 1041.

Our final chronograph for today -- the Speedmaster Split Seconds, with the same beat of 8 per second/28,800

Sam aka Hewybaby

Current Position
Chronocentric and zOwie site design and contents (c) Copyright 1998-2005, Derek Ziglar; Copyright 2005-2008, Jeffrey M. Stein. All rights reserved. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of the terms of use. CONTACT | TERMS OF USE | TRANSLATE