The largest independent, non-commercial, consumer-oriented resource on the Internet for owners, collectors and enthusiasts of fine wristwatches. Online since 1998.
Informational Websites ChronoMaddox -- the legacy of Chuck Maddox OnTheDash -- vintage Heuer website Zowie -- Omega information
Discussion Forums ChronoMaddox Forum Heuer Forum Omega Forum
Counterfeit Watchers ChronoTools Forum ChronoTrader Forum

zOwie Omega Discussion Forum

Opened July 1999, zOwie is the Internet's first and longest running discussion forum dedicated to Omega brand watches.

Feel free to discuss pricing and specific dealers. But 'for sale' postings, commercial solicitation and ads are not allowed. Full archive of all messages is accessible through options in the Search and Preferences features. Privacy, policies and administrivia are covered in the Terms of Use.

For the answer to the NUMBER #1 most frequently asked question here--for details or value of a specific older Omega watch you have--go to: Tell Me About My Omega. Learn more about How To Include Photos and HTML In Your Postings. To contact someone with a question not relevant to other readers of the forum, please click on their email address and contact them privately.

Re: Moonwatch with 861 movement from 1968?

: Hi everybody,
: i'm desperately seeking advice on the speedmaster "moon
: watch". I'm thinking about buying a speedmaster pro from a
: local dealer. But i'm not really sure whether that watch is all
: authentic or made of parts from different watches. I was not
: able to take a picture, but i have had the chance to note down
: the numbers inside the case and on the movement:
: Inside the case it says 145022-68
: the movement is marked 2732273 5 or 0, not sure about the last
: digits.
: The movement is an 861, not a 321, but the dial is with the applied
: omega logo and of the non-flat-type.The dial says
: "speedmaster professional" and "t swiss t".
: According to some websites, watches with the 861 mvt have the
: flat, painted logo dial, that's why i'm unsure.If the -68 inside
: the case was refering to the year of production, were there
: watches with the 861 in that year at all? One website indicated
: that the 861 models started in 1969...
: Another feature: the caseback says speedmaster and shows the
: speedmonster, nothing else.
: Also confusing is that the watch has hands in the proper shape, but
: in stainless steel with luminous inlays, as opposed to hands in
: white paint. might be replacements?
: So my question is: does this combination of features, parts,
: numbers etc. make sense, did Omega produce such watches?
: And off course, if that watch were in pretty good condition, how
: much should i expect to pay?
: I'd be most grateful for all thoughts and information,

: thanks a lot,
: Bernhard

From what I have seen caliber 861 started production in 1968, however the serial # dates it to 1969. It also appears that caliber 861 was introduced with a painted Omega logo. Im no expert, but it seems that you have a 68 case with a 69 movement with a replaced dial and hands. As always, pics would help. Sounds like a put together piece with no real collector value. If the movement is real and you like the vintage look and it runs great, then maybe a nominal value of under $700-$800 usd is just a guess. Keep in mind that you can buy original NOS parts to replace the dial/hands/caseback to specs. Might cost you $500 or so for the complement. The watch also probably needs service, maybe tack on $300 also. A lot of trouble and money if you want my honest opinion.

Messages In This Thread

Moonwatch with 861 movement from 1968?
Re: Moonwatch with 861 movement from 1968?
Current Position
Chronocentric and zOwie site design and contents (c) Copyright 1998-2005, Derek Ziglar; Copyright 2005-2008, Jeffrey M. Stein. All rights reserved. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of the terms of use. CONTACT | TERMS OF USE | TRANSLATE