The largest independent, non-commercial, consumer-oriented resource on the Internet for owners, collectors and enthusiasts of fine wristwatches. Online since 1998.
Informational Websites ChronoMaddox -- the legacy of Chuck Maddox OnTheDash -- vintage Heuer website Zowie -- Omega information
Discussion Forums ChronoMaddox Forum Heuer Forum Omega Forum
Counterfeit Watchers ChronoTools Forum ChronoTrader Forum

zOwie Omega Discussion Forum

Opened July 1999, zOwie is the Internet's first and longest running discussion forum dedicated to Omega brand watches.

Feel free to discuss pricing and specific dealers. But 'for sale' postings, commercial solicitation and ads are not allowed. Full archive of all messages is accessible through options in the Search and Preferences features. Privacy, policies and administrivia are covered in the Terms of Use.

For the answer to the NUMBER #1 most frequently asked question here--for details or value of a specific older Omega watch you have--go to: Tell Me About My Omega. Learn more about How To Include Photos and HTML In Your Postings. To contact someone with a question not relevant to other readers of the forum, please click on their email address and contact them privately.

Re: Speedmaster day date
In Response To: Speedmaster day date ()

: I am looking to buy a new speedmaster day date model 3220.50.00
: very soon. Retail price is 3,500. I was wondering what I should
: expect to negotiate off retail price at a authorized retailer? I
: went to Jared jewelers and they had a speedmaster day model
: 3210.50.00 that retails for 2,980 and they said the watch would
: be discounted to 2,500 without me even asking or negotiating.
: Does anyone know the range of discount usually used or what
: retailers pay for the watch.

I have a 3220.50.00 myself and bought it at Jareds. Retail was the same and they took 600 off of that price without me even asking. It seems to me that they will discount about 17 percent off of the retail. So, they must be making a ton from the sales. If I remember correctly from lectures or a class back in the early 80s, retailers basically just double the cost they pay for an item when they sell it to you. I may be wrong on that, but it is what I remember. So, using that info tells me that the watch must cost 1750 to create. That's a complete guess. Even if they were to discount 20 percent they would still make a killing! Enjoy the watch---I certainly enjoy mine---well worth the cost--
Chris

Current Position
Chronocentric and zOwie site design and contents (c) Copyright 1998-2005, Derek Ziglar; Copyright 2005-2008, Jeffrey M. Stein. All rights reserved. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of the terms of use. CONTACT | TERMS OF USE | TRANSLATE