The largest independent, non-commercial, consumer-oriented resource on the Internet for owners, collectors and enthusiasts of fine wristwatches. Online since 1998.
Informational Websites ChronoMaddox -- the legacy of Chuck Maddox OnTheDash -- vintage Heuer website Zowie -- Omega information
Discussion Forums ChronoMaddox Forum Heuer Forum Omega Forum
Counterfeit Watchers ChronoTools Forum ChronoTrader Forum

zOwie Omega Discussion Forum

Opened July 1999, zOwie is the Internet's first and longest running discussion forum dedicated to Omega brand watches.

Feel free to discuss pricing and specific dealers. But 'for sale' postings, commercial solicitation and ads are not allowed. Full archive of all messages is accessible through options in the Search and Preferences features. Privacy, policies and administrivia are covered in the Terms of Use.

For the answer to the NUMBER #1 most frequently asked question here--for details or value of a specific older Omega watch you have--go to: Tell Me About My Omega. Learn more about How To Include Photos and HTML In Your Postings. To contact someone with a question not relevant to other readers of the forum, please click on their email address and contact them privately.

Re: Seamaster 600 Info& Valuation?

: Hello all,

: I am the e-commerce person for a charitable organization and
: received a Seamaster 600 from one of our donors.
: I am wondering about how much I should ask for it.
: If someone could give a ballpark figure as well as some general
: information of this watch, it would be
: sincerely appreciated :)

: The index containing all the images are:
: http://www.rickshrum.com/seamaster-600/

: Sincerely,
: Rick S.

A great and free online resource is the Omega Vintage Database:

This model was introduced in 1962

Seamaster - 600
Gents' leather strap
Reference
ST 136.0011

International collection

Movement
Type: Manual winding (mechanical)
Caliber number: 611 / 613
Cal. 611
Created in 1959, 17 jewels
Cal. 613
Created in 1966, 17 jewels
Both with central sweep-second hand

Functions
Date

Case
Stainless steel

Case back
Screw-in
Full metal
Dial
Metal, with metal hands. With "Seamaster", "Seamaster 600", or "Genève" on the dial.

Crystal
Armoured hesalite

Bracelet
Leather

Water resistance
30 meters

More product information
Case : round (34,5 mm diameter)
For leather straps of 18 mm lug-size
International Collection : 1962-1970
Swiss retail price (1967) : CHF 160.-
Also available in 14K yellow or pink gold-plated (40 mic.) with SS case back under ref. JD 136.011 or JE 136.011 (CHF 185.-).
Later replaced by ref. 136.041

This specific watch is in reasonably good condition. The 24 million serial number dates the watch to approximately 1967, but could have been purchased a bit earlier or years later.

The retail price in Switzerland of this watch was CHF 160 in 1967. For this number to be relevant, you have to consider four factors: exchange rates then, exchange rates now, inflation, and the market for mechanical watches.

Exchange rates then: At the then prevailing exchange rates, that amount in US dollars would be about $37 -- in 1967.

Exchange rates now: Today, the exchange rate is dramatically different; the same watch would be about $150 in 1967 dollars. Without considering this factor, the historical prices of Swiss watches seem remarkably cheap, even after adjustment for inflation.

Inflation: Inflation has caused prices to increase over six times since 1967, making the $150 watch be about $900 in today's dollars.

Market for mechanical watches: A manual wind mechanical watch was a common possession in 1967. Automatic winding and tuning fork watches were the only alternatives and were significantly more expensive. Competition kept prices lower. Today, mechanical watches are collectible, fashionable and status symbols -- and about 30% more expensive than the comparable prices when there was more demand and competition (judging from certain models of Omega watches produced with little change for more than 50 years). Thus, if this watch were new and offered today, I would expect the price to be around $1,200. However, I would also expect to receive a 20% discount, leaving the price about $1,000.

What do vintage watches like this one bring in the open market today? My standard answer is what a willing buyer will pay a willing seller. Or I would answer what I would be willing to pay, if it is a watch I already own . . .

But as this is for a charity event, the market for a watch like this, restored and serviced is probably about $500, because manual winding watches without complications are not very much in demand. However, this watch is not restored and likely not serviced. I would deduct the cost of a case polishing/rebrushing and a service of about $200 and say the watch would bring about $300 in an informed market.

On Ebay, you can search successful completed auctions for "Seamaster 600" and get a good idea also. You may (likely will) a wide variation in prices asked, less so in prices received.

Good luck

Messages In This Thread

Seamaster 600 Info& Valuation? *LINK*
Re: Seamaster 600 Info& Valuation?
Current Position
Chronocentric and zOwie site design and contents (c) Copyright 1998-2005, Derek Ziglar; Copyright 2005-2008, Jeffrey M. Stein. All rights reserved. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of the terms of use. CONTACT | TERMS OF USE | TRANSLATE