The largest independent, non-commercial, consumer-oriented resource on the Internet for owners, collectors and enthusiasts of fine wristwatches. Online since 1998.
Informational Websites ChronoMaddox -- the legacy of Chuck Maddox OnTheDash -- vintage Heuer website Zowie -- Omega information
Discussion Forums ChronoMaddox Forum Heuer Forum Omega Forum
Counterfeit Watchers ChronoTools Forum ChronoTrader Forum

zOwie Omega Discussion Forum

Opened July 1999, zOwie is the Internet's first and longest running discussion forum dedicated to Omega brand watches.

Feel free to discuss pricing and specific dealers. But 'for sale' postings, commercial solicitation and ads are not allowed. Full archive of all messages is accessible through options in the Search and Preferences features. Privacy, policies and administrivia are covered in the Terms of Use.

For the answer to the NUMBER #1 most frequently asked question here--for details or value of a specific older Omega watch you have--go to: Tell Me About My Omega. Learn more about How To Include Photos and HTML In Your Postings. To contact someone with a question not relevant to other readers of the forum, please click on their email address and contact them privately.

Non-political lipstick on a pig

David Moose came to visit, and we had a little business to attend to . . .

We made three stops and came away with "stuff" from each. The stops involved:

Clock

Pen

Watch

Then to my house, where there was copious alcohol and David cooked. Wow -- I would go to his firehouse for food anytime!!!! (David is a veteran fireman, as well as watch connoisseur.)

My clockmaker gave me a Chelsea clock, barometer and thermometer -- "to take home to see if I would like it". It was made for Abercrombie and Fitch.

My favorite pen store relocated while David, friends and I were on a trip to Las Vegas. This is essentially a whole store with nothing but pens in it, with good discounts on all of them.

David and I each came away with an inexpensive writing instrument. David's was less money, but mine was marked down much further: $379 to $65. Photos later in another watch + pen thread.

Watch . . . . well that comes below, where I picked up a new watch.

We had a great time with David and Donna . . . . very relaxed and very casual

David and I are very lucky to have these two women

So -- about watches:

Well, I think the ETA/Valjoux 7750 is basically butt ugly -- it looks like a pig: industrial, utilitarian, workmanlike, all business and no beauty at all.

without a rotor (7760)

with a rotor

Even IWC can't do a hell of a lot with it . . . . .

You can put lipstick on a pig, but it is still a pig. But, you know what I have figured out?

I really like pork

My first Omega was a "pig"; the Omega Speedmaster Day-Date (or triple date)

Omega applies pretty decent lipstick, but it is still clearly a 7750 . . .

Interestingly, I found the only place on the watch the movement serial number appears is on the exterior of the case back. There is no serial number on the movement -- ????????

Another of my watches is "pig-based", the Seamaster ChronoDiver . . . .

Nicer, but still . . . it's a pig

Omega made a fairly limited Speedmaster Split Seconds in 2001

Ever notice how rarely you see a 7750 in a exhibition back? There is a reason. Omega tried it once in 1991, with the Louis Brandt chronograph. The face is so beautiful, there is no need to turn the watch over . . . but they did it anyway.

Even gold glitter lipstick isn't enough . . . . . . still a pig

So why is a butt ugly movement so popular and so successful?

Because you can do everything with it, it is accurate and durable, and a closed back is something I can live with.

So, I picked up a lipstick wearing pig . . . . a new IWC 3714, the Portuguese Chrono-Automatic

Cleverly closed back

Since, we had two Portuguese handy . . . . comparison shots followed

David and Donna have a Portuguese 5001, 7 day movement

A watch which is similar in size, but not thickness and movement

The 7750 movement, in its most complicated delivered form is less than 8 mm thick. So why are so many 7750-based chronographs so thick?

The IWC 3714 is the thinnest 7750-based chronograph I have ever seen.

Louis Brandt vs. IWC 3714, two dress chronographs -- IWC is only 12.3mm (although I measure it slightly thicker)

Speedy Split Seconds; Louis Brandt; Day-Date; IWC 3714, in order of thickness

Speedy Split Seconds; Day-Date; IWC 3714

Let's see your "pigs"

Cause I really like pork

Messages In This Thread

Non-political lipstick on a pig
Pig In A Poke
Re: Pig In A Poke
So Which is Most Expensive 7750-Based Chrono ? ? ?
Re: So Which is Most Expensive 7750-Based Chrono ? ? ?
Re: So Which is Most Expensive 7750-Based Chrono ? ? ? *PIC*
Wow! Wonderful pics, thanks!
Re: Wow! Wonderful pics, thanks!
Here's My Only "Pig"; Wearing Very Little Lipstick
Current Position
Chronocentric and zOwie site design and contents (c) Copyright 1998-2005, Derek Ziglar; Copyright 2005-2008, Jeffrey M. Stein. All rights reserved. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of the terms of use. CONTACT | TERMS OF USE | TRANSLATE