The largest independent, non-commercial, consumer-oriented resource on the Internet for owners, collectors and enthusiasts of fine wristwatches. Online since 1998.
Informational Websites ChronoMaddox -- the legacy of Chuck Maddox OnTheDash -- vintage Heuer website Zowie -- Omega information
Discussion Forums ChronoMaddox Forum Heuer Forum Omega Forum
Counterfeit Watchers ChronoTools Forum ChronoTrader Forum

zOwie Omega Discussion Forum

Opened July 1999, zOwie is the Internet's first and longest running discussion forum dedicated to Omega brand watches.

Feel free to discuss pricing and specific dealers. But 'for sale' postings, commercial solicitation and ads are not allowed. Full archive of all messages is accessible through options in the Search and Preferences features. Privacy, policies and administrivia are covered in the Terms of Use.

For the answer to the NUMBER #1 most frequently asked question here--for details or value of a specific older Omega watch you have--go to: Tell Me About My Omega. Learn more about How To Include Photos and HTML In Your Postings. To contact someone with a question not relevant to other readers of the forum, please click on their email address and contact them privately.

Re: Tough one.
In Response To: Re: Tough one. ()

Pardon for a very late participation, but I think it will help others that may be interested in this Omega model (166.093) in the future.
First two replies are evidently from people who know very little about this watch. You will not read anywhere, for example, that Prince Rainier III of Monaco asked Omega to produce a more refined, upgraded version of the 166.075 (Ploprof) to give as a present to the collaborators of the Monaco Oceanographic Museum and Research Institute, this watch was the 166.093 prototype. The very first 166.093 was given personally by Prince Rainer to Commander Jacque Cousteau. A total of 50 pieces were ordered by Prince Rainier. Omega produced 100 more as a public edition. A total of 150 were made. This model was once refered to as the "Holy Grail of Diving Watches" by Philippe Cousteau in a specialized magazine. I learned this in a personal conversation when I visited the RV Calypso and met several members of the Calypso crew in Maracaibo Venezuela in 1979 when the ship docked there in the summer for provisions whilst studying the major river basins of South America, namely the Amazonas and the Orinoco. The conversation came to be when one of the Calypso team noticed my own 166.093 and offered me his 166.075 and USD 300 in exchange for my watch. I said "no way...Jose".
Only a few days later, tragedy struck the Calypso team with Philippe's death in a hydroplane crash in Portugal. We celebrated a mass for his soul in the University Chapel in Maracaibo and invited the crew.

And so, to speak of a ridiculous USD 1000 or 5000 for this watch, would be only if you are buying a worn down, non operating timepiece.

Realistically speaking: in operating conditions, but with cosmetic flaws, expect to pay from USD 8.000 to 12.000. In operating conditions with no or very little cosmetic flaws, but not serviced directly by Omega After Sales, Bienne, this watch parts from USD 15.000. An Omega After Sales restored/serviced 166.093 if in excellent condition and under guarantee can start as of USD 18.000. An exceptional condition (mint) watch of this kind was sold at USD 34.000 in 2007 in the Antiquorum New York Auction.
So literally speaking, this Omega model, is worth its weight in gold... and you will know what I mean when you have one on your wrist and feel the weight for yourself. They are easier carried underwater of course.
Ed

Messages In This Thread

Omega Seamaster 1000m(ST. 166.0093)
Tough one.
Current Position
Chronocentric and zOwie site design and contents (c) Copyright 1998-2005, Derek Ziglar; Copyright 2005-2008, Jeffrey M. Stein. All rights reserved. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of the terms of use. CONTACT | TERMS OF USE | TRANSLATE