The largest independent, non-commercial, consumer-oriented resource on the Internet for owners, collectors and enthusiasts of fine wristwatches. Online since 1998.
Informational Websites ChronoMaddox -- the legacy of Chuck Maddox OnTheDash -- vintage Heuer website Zowie -- Omega information
Discussion Forums ChronoMaddox Forum Heuer Forum Omega Forum
Counterfeit Watchers ChronoTools Forum ChronoTrader Forum

zOwie Omega Discussion Forum

Opened July 1999, zOwie is the Internet's first and longest running discussion forum dedicated to Omega brand watches.

Feel free to discuss pricing and specific dealers. But 'for sale' postings, commercial solicitation and ads are not allowed. Full archive of all messages is accessible through options in the Search and Preferences features. Privacy, policies and administrivia are covered in the Terms of Use.

For the answer to the NUMBER #1 most frequently asked question here--for details or value of a specific older Omega watch you have--go to: Tell Me About My Omega. Learn more about How To Include Photos and HTML In Your Postings. To contact someone with a question not relevant to other readers of the forum, please click on their email address and contact them privately.

A hippocampus logo on a trucking company van

I was on the road in my car out of state on a US interstate highway and passed a large truck pulling a shipping container.

What caught my eye was the logo and the name on the container:

Chronos

The logo was a hippocampus.

Anyone else seen one?

I haven't found anything by Googling it, except a joint venture of Bekins (a home moving company in the US) and a West Coast (San Francisco) company, called Chronos, which is supposedly doing home moving in containers. Could be it, but there are no photos.

Just thought it was sort of cool . . .

Hippocampus is (today) the Greek word for seahorse. What does that have to do with Omega watches? I turned to Wikipedia.

In Greek art, Poseidon rides a chariot that was pulled by a hippocampus or by horses that could ride on the sea. Poseidon was the god of the sea and of horses.

The hippocamp or hippocampus (plural: hippocampi)(Greek: ἵπποκαμπος, from ἵππος, "horse" and κάμπος , "monster"[1]), often called a sea-horse[2] in English, is a mythological creature shared by Phoenician[3] and Greek mythology, though the name by which we recognize it is purely Greek; it became part of Etruscan mythology. It has typically been depicted as a horse in its forepart with a coiling, scaly, fishlike hindquarter.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hippoca...28mythology%29

It seems to me, Poseidon is the "Seamaster", thus Omega chose his mode of transportion as a symbol for the water resistant watch they introduced in 1948. I suppose, since a wristwatch is portable, the further connnection to Poseidon's transportation is not accidental.

Apollo, not Poseidon or the Roman Nepture, was responsible for driving the Sun across the sky. Other gods were concerned with timekeeping.

So back to the original question: since there is no connection that I can discern between a hippocampus and timekeeping ("Chronos" freight container), are the owners of this company Omega fans?

Otherwise, where did the logo come from?
Current Position
Chronocentric and zOwie site design and contents (c) Copyright 1998-2005, Derek Ziglar; Copyright 2005-2008, Jeffrey M. Stein. All rights reserved. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of the terms of use. CONTACT | TERMS OF USE | TRANSLATE