The largest independent, non-commercial, consumer-oriented resource on the Internet for owners, collectors and enthusiasts of fine wristwatches. Online since 1998.
Informational Websites ChronoMaddox -- the legacy of Chuck Maddox OnTheDash -- vintage Heuer website Zowie -- Omega information
Discussion Forums ChronoMaddox Forum Heuer Forum Omega Forum
Counterfeit Watchers ChronoTools Forum ChronoTrader Forum

zOwie Omega Discussion Forum

Opened July 1999, zOwie is the Internet's first and longest running discussion forum dedicated to Omega brand watches.

Feel free to discuss pricing and specific dealers. But 'for sale' postings, commercial solicitation and ads are not allowed. Full archive of all messages is accessible through options in the Search and Preferences features. Privacy, policies and administrivia are covered in the Terms of Use.

For the answer to the NUMBER #1 most frequently asked question here--for details or value of a specific older Omega watch you have--go to: Tell Me About My Omega. Learn more about How To Include Photos and HTML In Your Postings. To contact someone with a question not relevant to other readers of the forum, please click on their email address and contact them privately.

Re: Vintage Omega
In Response To: Re: Vintage Omega ()

This is an interesting one CajunMike and I would respectfully beg to differ - IMO it looks like a 168.0019 watch head with correct Milanese bracelet with machined lines. The #1 is an add-on.

The more I look at the dial ( an 18k silky guilloche dial) the more I think someone has got to it with a corrosive cleaner. These dials had a thin lacquer applied after the lettering was embossed, and sun damage could cause the lacquer to craze. In looking at the closeups of the script it passes the MOY test and the Connie lettering is IMO correct. I think the lettering has bled because some botch-up merchant has tried to 'refresh' the dial and used a petroleum-based or non water based solvent.

The crown is a rolled gold one and not correct for this model (18k being the standard). The baton hands are the correct shape but have been painted to match the onyx inserts and so have probably been 'cleaned' of their original black paint and repainted or are ring-ins.

These watches with bracelet weight around 4 ounces plus in total....and so I would say there's around two plus ounces of gold in this mother. Hate to see it scrapped, as with a good Kirk Rich redial and a light brush finishing to bring the surfaces back to original specs it could be worth a couple of thou.

I did an essay on the C-Shapes recently at http://omega-constellation-collectors.blogspot.com/2008/12/constellation-c-shape-omegas-child-of.html

Happy New Year

Desmond

: : Could you folks please school me on this vintage omega? It
: has a

: Not sure the ref# of this one, but the dial has been very
: poorly refinished, the bracelet appears to be gold plated, not
: gold, and the hands have been painted black. Im guessing that
: the value is pretty much limited to the watch as parts or gold
: content, and not as much as a whole watch due to the condition
: and customization. Not sure the value of gold these days but I
: would say Max $600 if the bracelet is all gold, not plated or
: filled, which seems unlikely. As for the watch value, maybe $200
: as a project watch if the movement is in decent condition. It
: will need a dial refinish and some case work. If gold plated, I
: don't think that the bracelet is worth refurbishing.

Messages In This Thread

Vintage Omega
Current Position
Chronocentric and zOwie site design and contents (c) Copyright 1998-2005, Derek Ziglar; Copyright 2005-2008, Jeffrey M. Stein. All rights reserved. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of the terms of use. CONTACT | TERMS OF USE | TRANSLATE