The largest independent, non-commercial, consumer-oriented resource on the Internet for owners, collectors and enthusiasts of fine wristwatches. Online since 1998.
Informational Websites ChronoMaddox -- the legacy of Chuck Maddox OnTheDash -- vintage Heuer website Zowie -- Omega information
Discussion Forums ChronoMaddox Forum Heuer Forum Omega Forum
Counterfeit Watchers ChronoTools Forum ChronoTrader Forum

zOwie Omega Discussion Forum

Opened July 1999, zOwie is the Internet's first and longest running discussion forum dedicated to Omega brand watches.

Feel free to discuss pricing and specific dealers. But 'for sale' postings, commercial solicitation and ads are not allowed. Full archive of all messages is accessible through options in the Search and Preferences features. Privacy, policies and administrivia are covered in the Terms of Use.

For the answer to the NUMBER #1 most frequently asked question here--for details or value of a specific older Omega watch you have--go to: Tell Me About My Omega. Learn more about How To Include Photos and HTML In Your Postings. To contact someone with a question not relevant to other readers of the forum, please click on their email address and contact them privately.

Re: HELP! Omega solid white gold
In Response To: HELP! Omega solid white gold ()

Hi

You watch is a calibre 540 handwind dress watch. Quite uncommon as only 8000 of these movements were made and used over a range of models. The movement appears in good condition as there are no rust spots or corrosion that I can see.

Your case number appears to be 3981 and the sixteen million serial number indicates that the movement was produced in around 1958. There are also watchmakers marks on the inner case back indicating service at some stage of its life.

There is also OXG stamped on the movement which indicates that it was produced for the US market. It is however a fully swiss made watch, indicated by the key stamp with a 1 inside the case which tells us that the case was made by Ed. Wenger SA, a known supplier of precious metal cases to Omega, based in Geneva. It was imported into US by Omega's North America agent Norman Morris Corp.

The bracelet is beautifully made and may have been attached to the watch either at or after point of sale. If the watch has an Omega symbol on the clasp and/or an Omega triangle stamp (and I cant quite see enough of the clasp to tell) then its a factory bracelet. If not, then its more than likely an addition.

Never-the-less it is a fine dress watch from the late 1950s with a good quality movement.

You could probably get an extract from archives from Omega at a cost of 55 CH. Check out the official website and you will find an email for 'customer service'.

Regards

desmond

http://omega-constellation-collectors.blogspot.com/
:

Hello Folks

: I inherited an Omega watch. The watch at the time it was made was
: claimed to be the thinnest watch made.

: It is made of 18k solid white gold and the watch is as one piece.
: That is to say, the watch band is welded to the watch as it was
: always meant to be one piece.

: I have looked everywhere to find out details about the watch. It
: was gifted to my father about 35 years ago.

: I have no idea of its worth. It does of course need servicing and
: cleaning as it has been sitting for about 30 years.

: It looks to me to be in good shape as my father always took good
: care of it.

: Any help in finding info and value information would be greatly
: appreciated.

: I do have some photos on photobucket. The photos include the
: insides and the underside of the back, giving all the ID numbers
: both on the watch and the back.

: When I go to post this message along with the photo link it comes
: back with a message saying, sorry we do not accept files in mpg,
: tiff, gif, jpeg, etc.

: These photos are in Jpeg. What in the world else would they want
: and why do they not say which file type they do accept? These
: are all in jpeg I believe.

: Anyway, here is the link to my photo bucket. Perhaps you can get in
: by copy and pasting this URL into the address bar of a blank
: page.

: http://s328.photobucket.com/albums/l327/hdlcx2/Omega
: %20Watch/Omega%20Watch%20Photos/?action=view¤t=DSCN0047000000047.jpg&#!oZZ1QQcurrentZZhttp%3A%2F%2Fs328.photobucket.com%2Falbums%2Fl327%2Fhdlcx2%2FOmega%2520Watch%2FOmega%2520Watch%2520Photos%2F%3Faction%3Dview%26current%3DDSCN0036000000036.jpg%26

: Please have a look in the file named Omega watch. There are 9
: photos total. On the photos with information written on paper,
: it would be good to copy the image and paste it into a Photo
: Viewer so as to be able to enlarge it to your readable size if
: you are unable to do so in Photobucket.

: Thank you

: Will

Messages In This Thread

HELP! Omega solid white gold
Re: HELP! Omega solid white gold
Re: Omega solid white gold
Re: Omega solid white gold
Current Position
Chronocentric and zOwie site design and contents (c) Copyright 1998-2005, Derek Ziglar; Copyright 2005-2008, Jeffrey M. Stein. All rights reserved. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of the terms of use. CONTACT | TERMS OF USE | TRANSLATE