The largest independent, non-commercial, consumer-oriented resource on the Internet for owners, collectors and enthusiasts of fine wristwatches. Online since 1998.
Informational Websites ChronoMaddox -- the legacy of Chuck Maddox OnTheDash -- vintage Heuer website Zowie -- Omega information
Discussion Forums ChronoMaddox Forum Heuer Forum Omega Forum
Counterfeit Watchers ChronoTools Forum ChronoTrader Forum

zOwie Omega Discussion Forum

Opened July 1999, zOwie is the Internet's first and longest running discussion forum dedicated to Omega brand watches.

Feel free to discuss pricing and specific dealers. But 'for sale' postings, commercial solicitation and ads are not allowed. Full archive of all messages is accessible through options in the Search and Preferences features. Privacy, policies and administrivia are covered in the Terms of Use.

For the answer to the NUMBER #1 most frequently asked question here--for details or value of a specific older Omega watch you have--go to: Tell Me About My Omega. Learn more about How To Include Photos and HTML In Your Postings. To contact someone with a question not relevant to other readers of the forum, please click on their email address and contact them privately.

Re: Rolex GMT ii vs Omega Seamaster Chronometer

: In the last few months, I went ahead and purchased my first Rolex.
: It's a tutone GMT ii (pre-ceramic) and I must say it's
: absolutely gorgeous. I also have an Omega Seamaster Chronograph
: (think James Bond but with the 3 dials for the stopwatch) in
: Titanium. Sometime next year, I'm planning on quitting my job
: and heading off to europe for at least a year (Dad was born in
: England so I can get dual citizenship and live and work anywhere
: in the EU). I was originally planning on selling my Seamaster
: and adding that to my european touring funds, but I'm now
: debating. I'm going to basically be backpacking and living on a
: train for a few months, and frankly, the gold and stainless
: steal on the GMT add more attention than what I might want to
: call upon. Also, as much as I love it, the Rolex isn't as
: comfortable to wear as my 'Russian Sub' Omega (you'd think the
: opposite as the Omega is huge and heavier compared to the Rolex,
: but the bracelet is a billion times better on the Omega). I also
: plan on doing some diving and the Seamaster will go far deeper
: than the Rolex (though I doubt I'd ever reach the depths that
: either can manage). To add to everything, Rolex has just raised
: their prices by 10-15% and the price of gold has risen to
: records again. If you look on Ebay, my Rolex is now worth an
: addional $1000-2000 more than I paid for it.

: So what do you think? Do you think I should flip the Rolex and take
: my Omega on the European travels? Keep both? Sell everything and
: by a Timex?

I suspect that if you check prices closely, the Rolex price is stable -- for the same model. Watch prices have generally been flat to declining for the last couple of years. There is not enough gold in a two tone GMT to matter much, so the new record gold prices don't matter much.

That said, the Rolex will be easier to sell than the Omega and likely will bring more.

So, your choices are:

1) travel with both watches
2) travel with the Omega and sell the Rolex
3) travel with the Rolex and sell the Omega
4) travel with the _____ and not sell the other one
5) sell both

I would favor #4, and it presumes you had the financial wherewithal to afford both watches when you purchased them, and to continue to own both watches now while vacationing and seeking a new life. I would eliminate #1 because you are traveling light (I presume) and need to be able to keep all your valuables on your person, so one watch -- unless you plan on wearing both all the time.

If you cannot afford to own both, then you likely cannot afford to own one and should go with #5. Mechanical watches make no economic sense and owning them is an (expensive) passion. I should know, my ownership count is in three digits . . . If neither #4 or #5 are your answer, you are in the grips of the watch passion and own the watches due to unreasoning desire, in spite of economic facts and logic. Thus, you need to choose one.

Despite the fact you are in the grips of the passion, you are trying to reason out (rationalize) a decision. Consider these three criteria:

a) Logic says keep the one for which you can get the least money, maximizing your funds received.
b) Passion says keep the one you love most.
c) Pragmatism says keep the one that will be the most useful or has the fewest drawbacks for the trip.

One watch will win at least two out of the three. Based on what I know and what you have appeared to say or imply in your post:

a) Omega; the Rolex will sell for more
b) Rolex -- it's new and shiny!
c) Omega

Sounds like you sell the Rolex and keep the Omega if you agree with my criteria -- and my interpretation of your views.

The above is a chain of thought that you can adjust to reflect how you actually feel, and organize your justification for the decision. Ultimately, you are going to do what you want or what you feel you need to do.

Messages In This Thread

Rolex GMT ii vs Omega Seamaster Chronometer
Current Position
Chronocentric and zOwie site design and contents (c) Copyright 1998-2005, Derek Ziglar; Copyright 2005-2008, Jeffrey M. Stein. All rights reserved. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of the terms of use. CONTACT | TERMS OF USE | TRANSLATE