The largest independent, non-commercial, consumer-oriented resource on the Internet for owners, collectors and enthusiasts of fine wristwatches. Online since 1998.
Informational Websites ChronoMaddox -- the legacy of Chuck Maddox OnTheDash -- vintage Heuer website Zowie -- Omega information
Discussion Forums ChronoMaddox Forum Heuer Forum Omega Forum
Counterfeit Watchers ChronoTools Forum ChronoTrader Forum

zOwie Omega Discussion Forum

Opened July 1999, zOwie is the Internet's first and longest running discussion forum dedicated to Omega brand watches.

Feel free to discuss pricing and specific dealers. But 'for sale' postings, commercial solicitation and ads are not allowed. Full archive of all messages is accessible through options in the Search and Preferences features. Privacy, policies and administrivia are covered in the Terms of Use.

For the answer to the NUMBER #1 most frequently asked question here--for details or value of a specific older Omega watch you have--go to: Tell Me About My Omega. Learn more about How To Include Photos and HTML In Your Postings. To contact someone with a question not relevant to other readers of the forum, please click on their email address and contact them privately.

Question for the Speedmaster gurus...

Hi everyone,

I have a question regarding my cal. 321 Speedmaster Pro...

(it's the one on the left)

It has the case and movement of a 1964 Speedmaster, but the Professional designation on the dial dates from 1966, at which point the case switched over to the style (crown guards, shouldered lugs) that we know today. The dial has the silver applied Omega symbol, which was only on the Professional dial for a short time.

The crystal is signed Omega, but is flat, unlike the domed acrylic piece on the current Speedmaster Pro.

I checked it in the new Speedmaster book with Mike Gacki at Kenjo, and it seems to be "the missing link" between the 1964 and 1966 Speedmasters.

Is this a hybrid piece, with Omega putting a new "Professional" dial on the last of the old movements and cases, or is it more likely that the dial and crystal were replaced later?

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Best regards,

Jim

Messages In This Thread

Question for the Speedmaster gurus...
Re: Question for the Speedmaster gurus...
I'm getting one exactly the same so pls. help (nt)
Current Position
Chronocentric and zOwie site design and contents (c) Copyright 1998-2005, Derek Ziglar; Copyright 2005-2008, Jeffrey M. Stein. All rights reserved. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of the terms of use. CONTACT | TERMS OF USE | TRANSLATE