The largest independent, non-commercial, consumer-oriented resource on the Internet for owners, collectors and enthusiasts of fine wristwatches. Online since 1998.
Informational Websites ChronoMaddox -- the legacy of Chuck Maddox OnTheDash -- vintage Heuer website Zowie -- Omega information
Discussion Forums ChronoMaddox Forum Heuer Forum Omega Forum
Counterfeit Watchers ChronoTools Forum ChronoTrader Forum

zOwie Omega Discussion Forum

Opened July 1999, zOwie is the Internet's first and longest running discussion forum dedicated to Omega brand watches.

Feel free to discuss pricing and specific dealers. But 'for sale' postings, commercial solicitation and ads are not allowed. Full archive of all messages is accessible through options in the Search and Preferences features. Privacy, policies and administrivia are covered in the Terms of Use.

For the answer to the NUMBER #1 most frequently asked question here--for details or value of a specific older Omega watch you have--go to: Tell Me About My Omega. Learn more about How To Include Photos and HTML In Your Postings. To contact someone with a question not relevant to other readers of the forum, please click on their email address and contact them privately.

Re: Speedmaster vs Fortis...
In Response To: Speedmaster vs Fortis... ()

Depending on exactly which model you got, your Fortis contains either a Lemania 5100 or ETA 7750 movement. A few of their watches go under the generic name "Official Cosmonauts Chronograph Automatic".

While they are not modified or adorned by Fortis, both are highly respected generic movements which are used in a number of fine watches from numerous manufacturers in the price range of $1000 - $4000 USD. I believe the SMP Chrono uses a modified 7750.

You watches is COSC certified.

There are several things I really like about Fortis. The dial is among the most legible of any I've seen. The markers and hands are Tritium, thus the T T on either side of Swiss Made. The case and band have a sandblasted (glass bead blasted actually) finish resembling titanium. The crystal is saphire with anti-glare coating on both sides. Under many angles and lighting conditions the crystal 'disappears'.

Over time the coating on the outside of the crystal will develop marks. Its not that bad but will be noticable if your looking for them.

The bracelet is the weak link (pun intended). Its just not up to the overall quality of the watch.

1. The end pieces are thin folded stainless. Over time little bangs can alter their shape and loosen them slightly.

2. The edges of the clasp are too rough for a watch at this price point. Over time the clasp will rattle slightly.

3. While the links are screwed, which is a plus, the bracelet itself is too thin for this fairly thick and heavy watch and therefore is not as well integrated visually and for comfort as I would hope.

4. The 'powdered' finish tends to rub off the bracelet giving a patchy effect over time. The bracelet can be refinished. The finish of the watch itself does not seem to share this problem.

I own a Fortis and personally like the look of their whole line very much. The performance of their watches is usually quite good. As an occassional alternative, you might want to switch to a black band which compliments the face superbly.

The small quibbles aside, I think you'll enjoy this watch.

: I have several Speedmasters - one Speedy Pro
: and 3 of the "crayola"
: speedmasters. While trying to decide on the
: purchase an SMP Auto, I went into another
: shop where they had their Fortis watches at
: 35% off retail. I purchased a "Official
: Cosmonauts Chronograph Automatic" with
: the matte stainless steel bracelet. (It was
: about $200 less than the SMP) Anyone here
: have any opinions on Fortis? (I know, this
: is an Omega forum, but I have some Omegas
: too).

Messages In This Thread

Speedmaster vs Fortis...
Current Position
Chronocentric and zOwie site design and contents (c) Copyright 1998-2005, Derek Ziglar; Copyright 2005-2008, Jeffrey M. Stein. All rights reserved. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of the terms of use. CONTACT | TERMS OF USE | TRANSLATE