The largest independent, non-commercial, consumer-oriented resource on the Internet for owners, collectors and enthusiasts of fine wristwatches. Online since 1998.
Informational Websites ChronoMaddox -- the legacy of Chuck Maddox OnTheDash -- vintage Heuer website Zowie -- Omega information
Discussion Forums ChronoMaddox Forum Heuer Forum Omega Forum
Counterfeit Watchers ChronoTools Forum ChronoTrader Forum

zOwie Omega Discussion Forum

Opened July 1999, zOwie is the Internet's first and longest running discussion forum dedicated to Omega brand watches.

Feel free to discuss pricing and specific dealers. But 'for sale' postings, commercial solicitation and ads are not allowed. Full archive of all messages is accessible through options in the Search and Preferences features. Privacy, policies and administrivia are covered in the Terms of Use.

For the answer to the NUMBER #1 most frequently asked question here--for details or value of a specific older Omega watch you have--go to: Tell Me About My Omega. Learn more about How To Include Photos and HTML In Your Postings. To contact someone with a question not relevant to other readers of the forum, please click on their email address and contact them privately.

HELP! New SMP Stopped Running...

I bought a new Seamaster Chronometer, with new blk dial and sword hands. Model # 2455.50, it has gold links, a brushed gold bezel (like America's Cup, but yellow gold), and gold hands. It is a beautiful watch, and I waited 6 weeks to get it from Omega, through my authorized dealer. They are in limited supply, up here in Canada.

The watch was running beautifully, until 2 days ago. I couldn't have been happier. I have only had the watch 10 days. The other day, while I was wearing my watch, I noticed the second hand had stopped moving. I took off the watch and moved it in various positions to get it going. It would not start. I shook it side to side close to my ear, and could hear a rattle inside. In the past I could not hear a thing......this watch was dead silent, could not even hear it tick. My other quartz watches are very audible. For a moment I thought, maybe I don't wear the watch enough to keep it wound up? It must have run down? I wear my SMP 10 hours/day. So, I set it on my dresser, and kept track of the reserve left. The watch would stop working every so often. Sometimes 2 hours, before it would stop again. To get it going, I would have to shake it in various positions. Once it got going, it was again good for 2 to 6 hours. It finally quit after 42 hours. In my conclusion it was fully wound. Something must be loose in the movement, and jamming the mechanism.

I would like to know, if Omega will give me a new watch? I don't want my dealer fixing it. I spent over $5000 CDN., and would like a new watch! After all, I have only had it for 12 days now!

Also, can any of you with an SMP tell me if your watches are silent when running. Can you hear the rotor move, or the second hand tick? Mine was very very silent. Could not hear anything. Was this normal?

Thanks, again for all your help, and I love this forum. I have learned a great deal from all of you!

Messages In This Thread

HELP! New SMP Stopped Running...
Simple solution...
Current Position
Chronocentric and zOwie site design and contents (c) Copyright 1998-2005, Derek Ziglar; Copyright 2005-2008, Jeffrey M. Stein. All rights reserved. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of the terms of use. CONTACT | TERMS OF USE | TRANSLATE