The largest independent, non-commercial, consumer-oriented resource on the Internet for owners, collectors and enthusiasts of fine wristwatches. Online since 1998.
Informational Websites ChronoMaddox -- the legacy of Chuck Maddox OnTheDash -- vintage Heuer website Zowie -- Omega information
Discussion Forums ChronoMaddox Forum Heuer Forum Omega Forum
Counterfeit Watchers ChronoTools Forum ChronoTrader Forum

zOwie Omega Discussion Forum

Opened July 1999, zOwie is the Internet's first and longest running discussion forum dedicated to Omega brand watches.

Feel free to discuss pricing and specific dealers. But 'for sale' postings, commercial solicitation and ads are not allowed. Full archive of all messages is accessible through options in the Search and Preferences features. Privacy, policies and administrivia are covered in the Terms of Use.

For the answer to the NUMBER #1 most frequently asked question here--for details or value of a specific older Omega watch you have--go to: Tell Me About My Omega. Learn more about How To Include Photos and HTML In Your Postings. To contact someone with a question not relevant to other readers of the forum, please click on their email address and contact them privately.

Service Nightmare(long)

Thought this might be of interest to the group.

It all started in January, when my 1.5 year old mid-sized auto "Bond" Seamaster fell from my wrist and hit the floor without warning. Seems one of the pins in an adjustable link on the bracelet had come loose. Don't know if it was one of the ones which had been removed by my jeweler to adjust the bracelet when the watch was new, but may have lost the little sleeve.

No harm to the watch, and jeweler put the bracelet back together, albeit with a pin which was too long for the smaller bracelet. That wouldn't do, so I put a plan in motion! I bought a blue sharkskin Omega strap for the winter, and sent the bracelet back for an overhaul and refinish, while I wasn't using it in the water. Watch keeps -4 sec day time (-3 sec when new) and keeps water out, so I did not want it opened up for an overhaul quite yet.

My jeweler, an authorized and reputable Omega dealer, sent the bracelet off to the Omega USA service center on January 15, 2001. A few days later, I got the $75.00 estimate from Omega to overhaul and refinish the bracelet, which was about what I figured and approved. I had the new leather strap, and Omega is reputed to be slow, so I was patient. Hearing nothing for two months (and regretting somewhat that I personally did not send it back to the factory in Switzerland), I contacted the jeweler who began making inquiry about the status of the bracelet early last week.

Got a call that the bracelet had arrived a couple of days later, but when I went to retrieve it, I saw a new GMT bracelet (which won't fit the lugs on a mid-sized SM). Appreciate that I might be getting a new bracelet out of this, but figure its a mistake. Jeweler calls Omega, and back it goes to the service center.

Yesterday, I get a call from the jeweler, who tells me that Omega claims the GMT bracelet is the one they show listed for my watch! At this point, all I want is my old bracelet back. The repair cost was bad enough, but this is becoming silly.

Well, no bracelet, and no good explanation. Seems that the remedy is that they are sending me a whole NEW watch with new warranty! Well, there's nothing wrong with my old one that having its bracelet back wouldn't fix, and it has sentimental value because it was a 25th anniversary present from my wife.

Of course, the options are spinning through my head! Do I want to trade the new watch towards a full size SM (maybe with the new black dial) or a GMT? Of course, I would loose the use of the Omega sharkskin strap worn for only two months. Or, do I keep my watch and put it on the new bracelet (doesn't make much sense to keep the old one without the new warranty and then have to get it overhauled in a few months)? Good problems to have, maybe.

Bottom line, for me Omega USA service has been questionable. Jeweler and Omega Rep have worked out a generous remedy. I should have had the bracelet repaired elsewhere, or left well enough alone. My next move remains uncertain.

Kind regards.

Current Position
Chronocentric and zOwie site design and contents (c) Copyright 1998-2005, Derek Ziglar; Copyright 2005-2008, Jeffrey M. Stein. All rights reserved. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of the terms of use. CONTACT | TERMS OF USE | TRANSLATE