The largest independent, non-commercial, consumer-oriented resource on the Internet for owners, collectors and enthusiasts of fine wristwatches. Online since 1998.
Informational Websites ChronoMaddox -- the legacy of Chuck Maddox OnTheDash -- vintage Heuer website Zowie -- Omega information
Discussion Forums ChronoMaddox Forum Heuer Forum Omega Forum
Counterfeit Watchers ChronoTools Forum ChronoTrader Forum

zOwie Omega Discussion Forum

Opened July 1999, zOwie is the Internet's first and longest running discussion forum dedicated to Omega brand watches.

Feel free to discuss pricing and specific dealers. But 'for sale' postings, commercial solicitation and ads are not allowed. Full archive of all messages is accessible through options in the Search and Preferences features. Privacy, policies and administrivia are covered in the Terms of Use.

For the answer to the NUMBER #1 most frequently asked question here--for details or value of a specific older Omega watch you have--go to: Tell Me About My Omega. Learn more about How To Include Photos and HTML In Your Postings. To contact someone with a question not relevant to other readers of the forum, please click on their email address and contact them privately.

My answers / guesses *PICS* *LINKS*
In Response To: Seamaster 1000M questions ()

Thanks for taking the time to answer my question.

Nikos originally asked about a new dial, Here

I am also aware of that source i.e. service dial.

I am still looking to get the "original" smp1000m dial.

Any chance OMEGA S.A. in Bienne would have any left?

I personally think not, since from what I have
read, if you send your smp1000m for service,
they replace it with a service dial.

What do you think or know??????

OK, I KNOW there aren't many 1000M's around ( see next section ). I KNOW that there was one in Switzerland, that was owned by Richard Grimmel. Richard had it restored by Omega (Bienne) in 2004 & sold it to Chris Kraska (USA). Chris has subsequently sold it on.

Here is a picture of this watch

As you can clearly see this watch was fitted with a "service" dial ( as available from Watchco ) which is NOT the same as the original dial.

So this would lead me to say that Omega have NO original dials left & are now fitting the watches that they restore with "service" dials.

Also, any idea how many were produced in the 1970s?

Nope, none at all. I have seen a couple of posts where people state or claim to know how many were made. I have no idea where this Info comes from & I don't believe any numbers that I see without some sort of proof.

I don't guess at numbers. If I post a number here, someone may write "I read that xxx were made" the next then writes "xxx were made" & suddenly we have a new fact.

So I don't even guess at these numbers.

I do KNOW the watch was made with 2 different movements in it.
My 1000M info

So you can't even use the number of movements made to guess how many watches were made. Also the 1002 & 1012 were used in various different watches.

Also the Omega site says production run from 1971-1977, An Omega japanese magazine says 1971-1980.

A Omega U.K. 1978 catalogue has it inside.

So what is the correct version??

OK, "the Japanese Seamaster Book" that I have shows the date range to be 1971 - 1980.

Is that the same source as your Japanese magazine ?

You say it is in a UK Catalogue from 1978 ( would you care to send me scans, for my website ? I don't have that catalogue ).

I have found it in a UK Catalogue from 1979. This is not yet on my website, but here is the relevant page ( click on it for a larger version )

( for those of you who are NOT 1000M experts - that includes me - check out the hour markers & compare with the previous picture )

So according to the catalogues it was still available in 1979. I have some further catalogues from 1980 - 1984. The watch is not featured in these catalogues.

This would suggest that the watch was certainly available after 1977. but doesn't PROVE it.

Another piece of info , is that Omega is bringing out in April 2007 "Omegamania" book, which is to have a special section on history of Seamaster line.

Maybe some info will be there???

Yes, I'm aware of this. I saw a rough mock up version of the Seamaster chapter, when I visited the Museum in 2004.

Here's a link to my 2004 Musuem Post

I'm hoping the book will be packed with Info. I know it will be avilable in English :-)

AWAITING YOUR THOUGHTS....

Nikos.

You have them.

I hope this helps

Steve

Messages In This Thread

Seamaster 1000M questions
My answers / guesses *PICS* *LINKS*
Current Position
Chronocentric and zOwie site design and contents (c) Copyright 1998-2005, Derek Ziglar; Copyright 2005-2008, Jeffrey M. Stein. All rights reserved. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of the terms of use. CONTACT | TERMS OF USE | TRANSLATE