The largest independent, non-commercial, consumer-oriented resource on the Internet for owners, collectors and enthusiasts of fine wristwatches. Online since 1998.
Informational Websites ChronoMaddox -- the legacy of Chuck Maddox OnTheDash -- vintage Heuer website Zowie -- Omega information
Discussion Forums ChronoMaddox Forum Heuer Forum Omega Forum
Counterfeit Watchers ChronoTools Forum ChronoTrader Forum
Vintage Heuer Discussion Forum
The place for discussing 1930-1985 Heuer wristwatches, chronographs and dash-mounted timepieces. Online since May 2003.
OnTheDash Home What's New! Price Guide Chronographs Dash Mounted Collection
Should Do Better than 90 Seconds Per Day
In Response To: Accuracy ()

Welcome to the vintage Heuer world. Sorry that your first days with this watch have not been satisfactory.

Any Caliber 11 / 12 / 14 / 15 chronograph should do considerably better than gaining or losing 90 seconds per day. I can't suggest a rule of thumb, but it seems like most of them maintain accuracy within 10 to 20 seconds per day; some are considerably better than that.

I believe that mainsprings for the watch are available. Perhaps others here can suggest best watchmakers in the U.K., who might be able to help you with the watch.

Hoping that you will provide an update when this is resolved and you are a happy vintage Heuer owner.

Jeff

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

: Hi, this may seem a stupid question, i have just purchased a Heuer
: 1153s and it is loosing around 90 secs per day which is more
: than i had hoped for. [being worn 16 hours on wrist then face up
: on table at night for @8 hours] and so i am considering getting
: it looked at. the previous seller says he had it serviced 3
: months ago, all functions work and it is in good condition
: generally.

: Can you guys offer me your collective wisdom on servicing /
: adjusting the watch , am i likely to get an improvement in
: accuracy or would i be wasting my time and money. Can you get
: replacement main springs, etc. if it is that causing the problem
: or is that unrealistic given the age of the watch [1972] i am
: located in the Nottingham, England.

: Many thanks in anticipation of your helpfull comments.

: Cheers

: Ade.

Current Position
Chronocentric and zOwie site design and contents (c) Copyright 1998-2005, Derek Ziglar; Copyright 2005-2008, Jeffrey M. Stein. All rights reserved. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of the terms of use. CONTACT | TERMS OF USE | TRANSLATE