The largest independent, non-commercial, consumer-oriented resource on the Internet for owners, collectors and enthusiasts of fine wristwatches. Online since 1998.
Informational Websites ChronoMaddox -- the legacy of Chuck Maddox OnTheDash -- vintage Heuer website Zowie -- Omega information
Discussion Forums ChronoMaddox Forum Heuer Forum Omega Forum
Counterfeit Watchers ChronoTools Forum ChronoTrader Forum
Vintage Heuer Discussion Forum
The place for discussing 1930-1985 Heuer wristwatches, chronographs and dash-mounted timepieces. Online since May 2003.
OnTheDash Home What's New! Price Guide Chronographs Dash Mounted Collection
Targa Florio Movement ... Coincidence ??

Hi Guys,

I know nothing at all about these watches, but I read with interest the threads below. Including the various oBoy auctions.

I nearly fell of my chair when I saw the pictures of the movements.

20 minutes before I was asking an "Omega Buddy" about my father-in-laws' fathers ( called GIL, Grandfather-In-Law from here on) pocket watch. (I'll get to the point !)

here are the 2 pics of the "Heuer" movements (I rotated, cropped & re-hosted the original pics)

& this is the movement from GIL's pocket watch ( probably pre WWII & so pre-1939).

They look basically identical to me. differences in engraving & serial # position, but the basic components of the movements are identical ( EVERY screw is in the same position)

I know nothing about my GIL's pocketwatch.

here's the dial..

& here is one of the "Heuers" ( orig sellers pic used here )

The dial layout is identical.

So some new questions...

- Does my GIL's 65 year old pocketwatch have a "rare" Heuer movement ? ( not likely )
- Is it a "Heuer" prototype.( even less likely )
- Is someone making cheap copies of old pocketwatch movements ? (very likely)

I have found a German Watchmaker called "Huber" in Munich & will ask them about the pocket watch I have. Maybe they can tell me if it is their watch & what kind of movement it is. (it is not signed anywhere).

My Father-in-Law is 77 & the pocket watch I have in front of me belonged to HIS father. All I can state with absolute certainty is that the pocket watch, is genuine and at least 50 years old.

Steve

Messages In This Thread

Targa Florio Movement ... Coincidence ??
How They Might be Produced
SomeThoughts...
some more..
Current Position
Chronocentric and zOwie site design and contents (c) Copyright 1998-2005, Derek Ziglar; Copyright 2005-2008, Jeffrey M. Stein. All rights reserved. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of the terms of use. CONTACT | TERMS OF USE | TRANSLATE