The largest independent, non-commercial, consumer-oriented resource on the Internet for owners, collectors and enthusiasts of fine wristwatches. Online since 1998.
Informational Websites ChronoMaddox -- the legacy of Chuck Maddox OnTheDash -- vintage Heuer website Zowie -- Omega information
Discussion Forums ChronoMaddox Forum Heuer Forum Omega Forum
Counterfeit Watchers ChronoTools Forum ChronoTrader Forum
Vintage Heuer Discussion Forum
The place for discussing 1930-1985 Heuer wristwatches, chronographs and dash-mounted timepieces. Online since May 2003.
OnTheDash Home What's New! Price Guide Chronographs Dash Mounted Collection
Re: Blue/white Monaco w.Val7740 Movement

: dear heuer-ragazzi,
: sure you all have been watching the auction of
: the blue and white handwound monaco, pls.
: see eboy# below.
: I was really wondering why this great and rare
: piece did not get any higher ($$$)
: attention. from the point where i stand, the
: 7740 is the rarest 1970s Monaco, and in this
: colour combination, it is almost impossible
: to find.
: i personally did not bid on it, because the
: left register had some imperfect places and
: I had asked the seller twice for a close-up
: scan and he did not respond at all. i was
: also wondering why none of the wellknown
: Heuer freaks was bidding until the final
: lap, just charles made it up to 2,3. jim was
: visiting a girlgroup concert in N.Y. when
: the auction endet.(lol)
: any comment is appreciated.

Hello Ralf. I was out of town and away from my computer on the final bid on this Monaco. I personally think that it was a bargain and as always the value of anything is determinded by what someone is willing to pay. I looked at the feedback on the buyer and he didn't appear to be a Heuer Collector or even a high end watch collector. I am thinking that the Steve McQueen mystique may have had something to do with this buyer purchasing this Monaco.

Probably the best (mint condition aka NOS) Monaco I ever owned came from my buddy Ralf, it was a Cal 15 with Silverburst Dial orginal leather band and buckle. It was a rare piece and it is now won by David as a dress watch. Of course as all reader know he also owned at one time both of the real Steve McQueens that Don sold on eBay.

The Monaco will always sell at a a premium even though there are rarer Heuer.

Good Collecting to all. Charles

Current Position
Chronocentric and zOwie site design and contents (c) Copyright 1998-2005, Derek Ziglar; Copyright 2005-2008, Jeffrey M. Stein. All rights reserved. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of the terms of use. CONTACT | TERMS OF USE | TRANSLATE