The largest independent, non-commercial, consumer-oriented resource on the Internet for owners, collectors and enthusiasts of fine wristwatches. Online since 1998.
Informational Websites ChronoMaddox -- the legacy of Chuck Maddox OnTheDash -- vintage Heuer website Zowie -- Omega information
Discussion Forums ChronoMaddox Forum Heuer Forum Omega Forum
Counterfeit Watchers ChronoTools Forum ChronoTrader Forum
Vintage Heuer Discussion Forum
The place for discussing 1930-1985 Heuer wristwatches, chronographs and dash-mounted timepieces. Online since May 2003.
OnTheDash Home What's New! Price Guide Chronographs Dash Mounted Collection
Re: Heuer Monaco at Hodinkee [from Nic Green]
In Response To: Heuer Monaco at Hodinkee ()

i just personally believe these to be real....for one the dial has perfect tritium round dot markers which can be seen as having a degrading effect to the paint on the dial...this sort of patina cannot be faked and tritium is vintage. Other branded dials can be seen with the same tritium markers and patina.

So my theory is that Heuer were making these for other bands as well as themselves, not sure when? if right at the end of Monaco production?

We have seen that some case back are blank which would be for the other branded watches again in theory. An all blue dial would not be an attempt to fake but was perhaps cheap to manufacture along with no raised markers ... the other branded watches dials where all painted in similar fashion.

The trouble we find is there are many prob no branded watches redialed and faked to sell as "vintage heuer"...thus the minefield.

I recall a letter of authenticity from Tag Heuer issued for one...some info here

http://chronocentric.com/forums/heuer/index.cgi?md=read;id=42437

[edited by moderator to fix typos, etc.]

Current Position
Chronocentric and zOwie site design and contents (c) Copyright 1998-2005, Derek Ziglar; Copyright 2005-2008, Jeffrey M. Stein. All rights reserved. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of the terms of use. CONTACT | TERMS OF USE | TRANSLATE