The largest independent, non-commercial, consumer-oriented resource on the Internet for owners, collectors and enthusiasts of fine wristwatches. Online since 1998.
Informational Websites ChronoMaddox -- the legacy of Chuck Maddox OnTheDash -- vintage Heuer website Zowie -- Omega information
Discussion Forums ChronoMaddox Forum Heuer Forum Omega Forum
Counterfeit Watchers ChronoTools Forum ChronoTrader Forum
Vintage Heuer Discussion Forum
The place for discussing 1930-1985 Heuer wristwatches, chronographs and dash-mounted timepieces. Online since May 2003.
OnTheDash Home What's New! Price Guide Chronographs Dash Mounted Collection
Much Controversy / Mucho Dinero
In Response To: Re: PVD Heuer Monaco Questions ()

there is much controversy about the PVD Monacos . . .

• some say they're real (made by Heuer)

• some say that Heuer tried to develop a PVD Monaco, but never really figured out how to do it right (tough to get the PVD to stick to those sharp corners) and quit the project

• some say that Heuer produced a few (maybe a dozen), gave up on the idea, and since then other guys have been making them (fakes) out of their own parts bins

• maybe all the above statements are true and consistent
It's unclear what really happened. We show several of them in OnTheDash, and you will notice that no two of them are identical -- hands, needles, date wheel, etc. so what does that tell us -- prototypes made by Heuer or fakes?

I have seen three or four of them sell over the past three or four years . . . so let's call that an average of one per year, more or less. Prices have ranged from $3500 to $4500, at times when good quality Cal 12 Monacos were selling in this same range . . . so if the Cal 12 Monacos have made their way up to $5000, then a good PVD might be worth about this same amount (assuming that it was made by Heuer and not in a chop-shop).

please let us know what you do.

I am aware of two PVD Monacos currently listed on dealer sites . . . write to me if you want details on these.

jeff

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

: I have no idea clue abt the ebay auction. I am
: a new comer here and am trying to find out
: whether or not it's possible to acquire a
: PVD Monaco. And what the damage would be??
: Anybody??

: Jason

Current Position
Chronocentric and zOwie site design and contents (c) Copyright 1998-2005, Derek Ziglar; Copyright 2005-2008, Jeffrey M. Stein. All rights reserved. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of the terms of use. CONTACT | TERMS OF USE | TRANSLATE