The largest independent, non-commercial, consumer-oriented resource on the Internet for owners, collectors and enthusiasts of fine wristwatches. Online since 1998.
Informational Websites ChronoMaddox -- the legacy of Chuck Maddox OnTheDash -- vintage Heuer website Zowie -- Omega information
Discussion Forums ChronoMaddox Forum Heuer Forum Omega Forum
Counterfeit Watchers ChronoTools Forum ChronoTrader Forum
Vintage Heuer Discussion Forum
The place for discussing 1930-1985 Heuer wristwatches, chronographs and dash-mounted timepieces. Online since May 2003.
OnTheDash Home What's New! Price Guide Chronographs Dash Mounted Collection
Gallet and Rolex / Emerging from Stunned Silence
In Response To: Manual wind Prefered *PIC* ()

Fantastic to see the Gallet and the Rolex, side-by-side. Gallet has been my leading "underbrand" for some time now, though I haven't snagged any of them lately . . . perhaps I've become too focused on the Heuers. I like just about everything that Gallet has ever produced . . . probably a higher percentage "hit rate" than Heuer or Rolex. Still, it is not a widely known brand [until now], and they can often be had at "bargain" prices.

After sitting in stunned silence since viewing the Gallet / Rolex images, let me now "pile on" with the guys who are congratulating you on the Rolex. Does it look that much better than the Gallet? not really. Does it work any better than the Gallet? unlikely. Is it really built any better than the Gallet? probably not by much, if at all. But are all of us stunned and amazed (and perhaps a wee bit jealous) that you actually own this one, having bought it for around $200 in the late 1960's? you bet we are!!

we can ponder the value of this Rolex (and the Gallets and Heuers) . . . we can look at the 1971 DeTomaso or the Maserati Bora, and wonder why the comparable Ferrari is worth so much more . . . or the AC and the Shelby . . . the value of "brands" is interesting and undeniable . . . there is also enormous value in scarcity and "mystique".

OK, enough of the rambling psycho-babble . . . let me just say congratulations and thanks for sharing your experiences and photographs!!

Jeff

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

: Yes I am compulsive enough to have to have the
: correct date whenever I switch watches. It
: is a pain with the multiple day, date,
: month, and moon models so I find I don't
: wear them as often. Of all the watches I
: own, the manual wind no date ones are my
: favorites. Here are a couple of oldies I
: have had for some time.

: The Gallet is the first real watch that I had
: and received it for X-mas 1959. It cost
: around $50.00. The Rolex I bought as a
: reward to myself for passing an important
: examination in 1968. I had to order it as no
: one stocked them in Indianapolis. It cost
: $215.00 plus $4.30 sales tax.

: To some there is beauty in simplicity.

Current Position
Chronocentric and zOwie site design and contents (c) Copyright 1998-2005, Derek Ziglar; Copyright 2005-2008, Jeffrey M. Stein. All rights reserved. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of the terms of use. CONTACT | TERMS OF USE | TRANSLATE