The largest independent, non-commercial, consumer-oriented resource on the Internet for owners, collectors and enthusiasts of fine wristwatches. Online since 1998.
Informational Websites ChronoMaddox -- the legacy of Chuck Maddox OnTheDash -- vintage Heuer website Zowie -- Omega information
Discussion Forums ChronoMaddox Forum Heuer Forum Omega Forum
Counterfeit Watchers ChronoTools Forum ChronoTrader Forum
Vintage Heuer Discussion Forum
The place for discussing 1930-1985 Heuer wristwatches, chronographs and dash-mounted timepieces. Online since May 2003.
OnTheDash Home What's New! Price Guide Chronographs Dash Mounted Collection
1968: Indy, Sales Tax and Tissot Vs. Rolex...
In Response To: Thanks *PIC* ()

The Rolex I bought as a reward to myself for passing an important examination in 1968. I had to order it as no one stocked them in Indianapolis. It cost $215.00 plus $4.30 sales tax.

A couple of additional thoughts on Indianapolis, Sales Tax, 1968 and your cost of $215...

Back in 1972 (and 1973 for that matter) I lived in the suburbs of Indianapolis for those summers. Having an August birthdate, I was ages 10-12 those two summers... When I first got to Indianapolis and visited the old "Eastgate" shopping mall, I was amazed that Sales Tax was 2%. I was used to 5.25% sales tax in Illinois and it was always a pain to figure out exactly what something was going to cost. Especially for someone who'd only been doing multiplication for a year or two, and even then on paper. [and this was a good three years before I knew how to work a slide rule, much less 4 or 5 years before I had one on a Gallet]... Being able to simplify that equation to "A penny every fifty cents" was a very cool thing. By the time I was back in Indy for the summer of 1973, the sales tax had doubled to 4% which wasn't exactly good news, but then again I didn't have much money to spend anyway (I rarely had a five dollar bill in my hands) so an extra two pennies on the dollar wasn't going to be a make or break thing.

Also as a point of interest... I scanned in a 1968 Tissot PR516 chronograph ad today...

Anyway, I happen to own an example of the Tissot advertized in the ad... It's this one right here:
Yeah, that's the one... The Ad's for that Seastar and in the ad, they call it a PR516. With a list price of $110.00...
The ad is from an October 1968 New York Times Magazine. It's interesting that today, your $220 Rolex is probably worth anywhere from $13,000 to $25,000 (if not more) and the Tissot Seastar... I paid about $425 for it delivered, off of eBay in the fall of 2004... It's not quite quadrupled in value... The Rolex... Minimum of 59 times more valuable, on twice the initial investment.

If only we had "way-back" machines! Thanks for sharing David!

-- Chuck

Chuck Maddox

Chronographs, like most finer things in life, only improve with time...
Watch Article Index: http://www.xnet.com/~cmaddox/cm3articles.html,
Watch Links Page: http://www.xnet.com/~cmaddox/watch.html,
Watch Blog: http://chuckmaddoxwatch.blogspot.com/.

Non-Pasadena Pasadena Stainless 7750

Messages In This Thread

Thanks *PIC*
Factor in Inflation - A STEAL!
1968: Indy, Sales Tax and Tissot Vs. Rolex...
Current Position
Chronocentric and zOwie site design and contents (c) Copyright 1998-2005, Derek Ziglar; Copyright 2005-2008, Jeffrey M. Stein. All rights reserved. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of the terms of use. CONTACT | TERMS OF USE | TRANSLATE