The largest independent, non-commercial, consumer-oriented resource on the Internet for owners, collectors and enthusiasts of fine wristwatches. Online since 1998.
Informational Websites ChronoMaddox -- the legacy of Chuck Maddox OnTheDash -- vintage Heuer website Zowie -- Omega information
Discussion Forums ChronoMaddox Forum Heuer Forum Omega Forum
Counterfeit Watchers ChronoTools Forum ChronoTrader Forum
Vintage Heuer Discussion Forum
The place for discussing 1930-1985 Heuer wristwatches, chronographs and dash-mounted timepieces. Online since May 2003.
OnTheDash Home What's New! Price Guide Chronographs Dash Mounted Collection
SomeThoughts™
In Response To: just curious..... ()

just curious..... Posted By: jhb Date: 2/20/06 04:31 GMT

not that i care either way, and i'm certainly not out to start a flame or fire war. nor am i picking on any one person(s) in particular or in general, nor in secret or openly....just so we are clear on what i'm asking......

Clear, no egos here.

i'm just curious on what the forum's current official policy on self promotion and plugging of items for sale on the sales forum, or ebay, or a dealer site, etc. on this forum is? is it going on a case by case type review, or is it an open door, or a closed door policy...or somewhere in the middle?

Well, recently TimeZone got downright repressive about enforcement of their policies regarding links, discussions and yes, even mentioning the word "eBay"! In fact, TZ has stated that merely including the word "eBay" in one's post can subject it to editing and or removal.

In the past, there have been plenty of useful informational and educational posts both at TZ and here on OTD that have saved a lot of people from purchasing counterfeit. Here is one example that I'm sure most people here will remember:

Seller claims 100% original. Then he should prove it!

Now, TZ moderators have gone on record saying that “we're here to discuss real watches, with the focus on owning and enjoying them and not on buying and selling them.”. ... and that's fine, TZ is entitled to focus on a narrow portion of the entire sphere of owning and collecting watches should they choose to.

We are not TZ. I feel it's safe to say (speaking for Jeff) that we feel that seeking, purchasing and yes, sometimes even trading and selling watches are perfectly acceptable topics for discussion. We here at OTD feel that part of our mission is the type of educational and informational pages, posts and discussions that will benefit our patrons.

We have no problems with the word eBay or mentioning it exists or that (shock!) watches are being auctioned there!

We established the ChronoTrader Forum in June of 2004 so that there was an attached sales corner for people to offer their watches for sale or trade, and or to post want to buy/trade advertisements. The ChronoTrader Forum is literally one keystroke [home] and one mouse click [ChronoTrader Forum] away. Anyone who's looking to buy, sell or trade, only need to do that to get there.

We have rules and policies posted that states all links off site will be decided on a case by case basis. Until we have a compelling reason to change things, we will continue to allow discussion of watches if people are seeking information upon which to base a purchase decision, or to provide a heads up about a dodgy offering. On the other hand, we have no problem pulling posts that are ad's or attempts to shill when we spot one.

As busy as Jeff and I (and over at the Chronocentric Omega Forum: Keith and Steve) are, we might not spot every last one though.

If anyone has a concern or question about a post, please feel free to email Jeff or myself and we'll look into as soon as we can.

once again, just so i'm perectly clear...i'm only asking as curiousity got the best of me.

Understood. We would like to be much more open, informational and educational than other forums are. To the extent we can, we will be. But we won't let this forum be awash in ad's and shill posts. If you have a concern or a question email us.

thanks in advance.

Hope this clears things up a little! Oh, and Jeff... If you're reading, please feel free to add on, correct or change as you see fit!

Good Hunting and carry on!

j.h.

-- Chuck

Chuck Maddox

Chronographs, like most finer things in life, only improve with time...
Watch Article Index: http://www.xnet.com/~cmaddox/cm3articles.html,
Watch Links Page: http://www.xnet.com/~cmaddox/watch.html,
Watch Blog: http://chuckmaddoxwatch.blogspot.com/.

Non-Pasadena Pasadena Stainless 7750

Current Position
Chronocentric and zOwie site design and contents (c) Copyright 1998-2005, Derek Ziglar; Copyright 2005-2008, Jeffrey M. Stein. All rights reserved. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of the terms of use. CONTACT | TERMS OF USE | TRANSLATE