The largest independent, non-commercial, consumer-oriented resource on the Internet for owners, collectors and enthusiasts of fine wristwatches. Online since 1998.
Informational Websites ChronoMaddox -- the legacy of Chuck Maddox OnTheDash -- vintage Heuer website Zowie -- Omega information
Discussion Forums ChronoMaddox Forum Heuer Forum Omega Forum
Counterfeit Watchers ChronoTools Forum ChronoTrader Forum
Vintage Heuer Discussion Forum
The place for discussing 1930-1985 Heuer wristwatches, chronographs and dash-mounted timepieces. Online since May 2003.
OnTheDash Home What's New! Price Guide Chronographs Dash Mounted Collection
Re: Is This Movement from Monaco That We Discussed

Hello Jeff,

Yes, this is the one in question. I have called up the seller and he told me that when the last time he saw it, he swore that it was signed Heuer. But after he got it serviced 5 years back, he didn't get a chance to see it.

So his guess is, the movement was swapped with a generic one. Or the bridge is stolen from it. In any case, he will get to the bottom of this.

From the look of the dial, everything looks perfect original to me. The white painted markers has little fine details like tails. The fonts all looks fine and details are found too. The hour indices lume dot has patinas around them and this suggest aging which is great, and is VERY common for blue metallic dial watches. Some watches like the Omega 120 Chronograph, is very sceptical to this damage too. I really don't know why, but Tritium seems to react with blue metallic dial. The indices around the chronograph registers are all properly spaced and also has little "tails" as detailed in those white registers one.

And furthermore, the case, crystal and all of the rest of the watch looks legit to me.

The only thing now is to wait for the seller and see if he still can get hold of the watchmaker. Seller seems honest and he is the second owner of this watch.

Thanks for your concern Jeff! :-) Pray for me! LOL

Best Rgds,
Jack W

:
: so is this the movement from the
: three-register, blue-on-blue Monaco that we
: have discussed recently? the one with the
: painted markers?

: I have never seen a Heuer chronograph from
: this era with an unmarked movement. This
: would suggest to me that the entire piece --
: dial and movement -- is not genuine.

: I am sorry to reach this conclusion, but can
: there really be any other explanation?

: Jeff

:
: +++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Current Position
Chronocentric and zOwie site design and contents (c) Copyright 1998-2005, Derek Ziglar; Copyright 2005-2008, Jeffrey M. Stein. All rights reserved. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of the terms of use. CONTACT | TERMS OF USE | TRANSLATE