The largest independent, non-commercial, consumer-oriented resource on the Internet for owners, collectors and enthusiasts of fine wristwatches. Online since 1998.
Informational Websites ChronoMaddox -- the legacy of Chuck Maddox OnTheDash -- vintage Heuer website Zowie -- Omega information
Discussion Forums ChronoMaddox Forum Heuer Forum Omega Forum
Counterfeit Watchers ChronoTools Forum ChronoTrader Forum
Vintage Heuer Discussion Forum
The place for discussing 1930-1985 Heuer wristwatches, chronographs and dash-mounted timepieces. Online since May 2003.
OnTheDash Home What's New! Price Guide Chronographs Dash Mounted Collection
Re: Why Not the Poor Men ? ? ?
In Response To: Why Not the Poor Men ? ? ? ()

Jeffster
This is really interesting territory. We talk a good game about watch movements and such. But the bottom line is that you can buy three stainess steel watches with the same Valjoux 72 innards.
An off-brand chrono for $300.
A Heuer for $3,000.
And a Rolex Daytona for $30,000.
So names do matter.
But even PMHs have taken on a weird cachet. I noticed that a nice Clebar three register chrono, with a desirable black on white dial, went for over $1700 on e-bay, which would have been enough to buy a nice Autavia, and almost enough to snag a two-register Carrera. That same PMH in a white on white dial would have brought, what, maybe $1000?

And then there are the Heuer re-issues, which are sometimes more expensive than the vintage watch they're replicating.

In the end, I think that you should prove that you're secure in your masculinity, Jeff. Step up and put your Siffert on Chronotrader for what you paid for the Dugena.
As a gesture of support, I'd be happy to write the ad for you and post it, too.

best
Allen

Current Position
Chronocentric and zOwie site design and contents (c) Copyright 1998-2005, Derek Ziglar; Copyright 2005-2008, Jeffrey M. Stein. All rights reserved. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of the terms of use. CONTACT | TERMS OF USE | TRANSLATE