The largest independent, non-commercial, consumer-oriented resource on the Internet for owners, collectors and enthusiasts of fine wristwatches. Online since 1998.
Informational Websites ChronoMaddox -- the legacy of Chuck Maddox OnTheDash -- vintage Heuer website Zowie -- Omega information
Discussion Forums ChronoMaddox Forum Heuer Forum Omega Forum
Counterfeit Watchers ChronoTools Forum ChronoTrader Forum
Vintage Heuer Discussion Forum
The place for discussing 1930-1985 Heuer wristwatches, chronographs and dash-mounted timepieces. Online since May 2003.
OnTheDash Home What's New! Price Guide Chronographs Dash Mounted Collection
My apologies, and I'd love to hear more.

Doug
First off, I am truly sorry if there was even an edge of snarkiness in my response. I'm having very very bad back problems this week and I think there's a corollary to my PMS theory: not only does Pain Make you Stupid, Pain Makes you Snarky. I'm really sorry and I meant no disrespect.
That said, I was and am a huge Formula One fan, especially from that era. Stewart was my biggest hero growing up, and is literally the only athlete I ever asked for an autograph. I live in the U.S. and all I ever got to see was the GP of Monaco on wide world of sports and 10 second clips on Sports Spectacular, and then wait two months to read Rob Walker's report in R&T,
So you were "there?" You got to see Ken and Helen and Jackie and Duckworth, and Rindt and Siffert and Colin Chapman and James Hunt and Lord Hesketh and maybe even Jim Clark (who would have been faster than Senna mano a mano.) Wow! If I had a time machine, I might transport myself to that era to see those amazing cars, and to warn some of those drivers. (Not today, Piers, please!)

Did you see the end of this years Indy? The lovely and very wet Ashley Judd was being interviewed and they asked her the stupid "what is Dario thinking about right now?" question. and she said "He's thinking about Jimmy Clark." I almost kissed the television.

I am such a freak about this I went to Duns to visit the Clark Trophy Room in the Library (the crazy American who spent two days there) and had the lovely lady I was B&Bing with drive me to Clark's gravesite at Edington Mains where I could pay my respects.

In short, wow, tell me all about it.

That said, as much as I respect Siffert--why do you think I want this watch so badly? --- it's not quite Jamaica Bobsled stuff IMHO. It would be a little more like the state of New Jersey banning racing, and some kid from Montclair having to travel to New YOrk and Connecticut and Pennsylvania to race.
Switzerland is surrounded by some of the most racing crazy countries on earth, of course. (Interestingly, they started producing champions only after Siffert's death--Lauda, Prost, Schumacher.
Anyways, on my wall I've got a framed press photo of the unveiling of the very first Tyrrell with Ken and Jackie and the oh so sad Francois Cevert (who could have beaten prost to the punch as the first french campione del mondo.)
So I hope that my impertinent know it all attitude (sorry again) can be the start of a conversation with someone who was there and knows so much and saw so much, then I'll be very happy to listen with rapt attention and I hope you'lll be equally happy to share.
Remember how big that BRM team was--Jean Pierre Beloise in the rain at Monaco and Peter Gethin in that unbelievably close finish at Monza?
I'll shut up now.

It'd be even nicer to be wearing a Siffert while I typed...
best
Allen

Current Position
Chronocentric and zOwie site design and contents (c) Copyright 1998-2005, Derek Ziglar; Copyright 2005-2008, Jeffrey M. Stein. All rights reserved. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of the terms of use. CONTACT | TERMS OF USE | TRANSLATE