The largest independent, non-commercial, consumer-oriented resource on the Internet for owners, collectors and enthusiasts of fine wristwatches. Online since 1998.
Informational Websites ChronoMaddox -- the legacy of Chuck Maddox OnTheDash -- vintage Heuer website Zowie -- Omega information
Discussion Forums ChronoMaddox Forum Heuer Forum Omega Forum
Counterfeit Watchers ChronoTools Forum ChronoTrader Forum
Vintage Heuer Discussion Forum
The place for discussing 1930-1985 Heuer wristwatches, chronographs and dash-mounted timepieces. Online since May 2003.
OnTheDash Home What's New! Price Guide Chronographs Dash Mounted Collection
Generally Agree, But . . .

I agree that there is nothing, as such, wrong with Omega being a bidder in these public auctions. In my view, the complexity / conflict arises from:

• Omega sponsoring the auction
  • Omega providing [assembling--??] many of the watches
  • Omega servicing the watches
  • Omega bidding on the watches it was selling [though I am not certain of whether this occured].
In a perfect world, every bidder would name his top price (perhaps in a single, simultaneous declaration), and the highest bidder walks away with the prize. In a live auction, there are so many more intangibles -- the actions and reactions of the bidders; the mood of the room; the encouragement of the crowd; the excitement can either build or the auction can go flat, with changes occuring very quickly. I have been to some high-dollar automobile auctions, of vintage and historic cars. Tell me the price of oil and real estate, the Dow Jones Industrial Index, prevailing interest rates, and the exchange rates for the Euro and Yen, and I'll tell you how the room is likely to feel. It can be very different, from year to year, or even from hour to hour.

I'm not sure how I would feel bidding against Heuer under similar circumstances . . . but it would be awesome to give it a shot!!

Jeff

Current Position
Chronocentric and zOwie site design and contents (c) Copyright 1998-2005, Derek Ziglar; Copyright 2005-2008, Jeffrey M. Stein. All rights reserved. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of the terms of use. CONTACT | TERMS OF USE | TRANSLATE