The largest independent, non-commercial, consumer-oriented resource on the Internet for owners, collectors and enthusiasts of fine wristwatches. Online since 1998.
Informational Websites ChronoMaddox -- the legacy of Chuck Maddox OnTheDash -- vintage Heuer website Zowie -- Omega information
Discussion Forums ChronoMaddox Forum Heuer Forum Omega Forum
Counterfeit Watchers ChronoTools Forum ChronoTrader Forum
Vintage Heuer Discussion Forum
The place for discussing 1930-1985 Heuer wristwatches, chronographs and dash-mounted timepieces. Online since May 2003.
OnTheDash Home What's New! Price Guide Chronographs Dash Mounted Collection
The "Guinand" Name / 427 Engine ? ? ?
In Response To: my personal opinion ()

I will agree that the "Guinand" name does not carry any goodwill or value, at least here in the United States. The name is difficult to pronounce; the heritage is unknown, at least here in the US; people who do know the name may associate it with stopwatches, which are not especially valuable. Perhaps Helmut Sinn's adoption of the Guinand name is like Carroll Shelby being involved with Oldsmobile or the "kit cars" / replicas later in his career . . . not the same heritage or collectibility as the Fords, but there may still be some "keepers" for those who admire his work.

To me, the appeal of this watch is largely in its use and display of the beautifully finished (legendary) movement. Make no mistake, I do like the rest of the watch . . . but I am buying the old 427 Ford engine (or maybe the 289), which Shelby / Sinn is now mounting in a nice looking body.

Jeff

Current Position
Chronocentric and zOwie site design and contents (c) Copyright 1998-2005, Derek Ziglar; Copyright 2005-2008, Jeffrey M. Stein. All rights reserved. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of the terms of use. CONTACT | TERMS OF USE | TRANSLATE