The largest independent, non-commercial, consumer-oriented resource on the Internet for owners, collectors and enthusiasts of fine wristwatches. Online since 1998.
Informational Websites ChronoMaddox -- the legacy of Chuck Maddox OnTheDash -- vintage Heuer website Zowie -- Omega information
Discussion Forums ChronoMaddox Forum Heuer Forum Omega Forum
Counterfeit Watchers ChronoTools Forum ChronoTrader Forum
Vintage Heuer Discussion Forum
The place for discussing 1930-1985 Heuer wristwatches, chronographs and dash-mounted timepieces. Online since May 2003.
OnTheDash Home What's New! Price Guide Chronographs Dash Mounted Collection
I think Seppi had it right...

Par's Point / What Would You Wear ? ? ? Posted By:jeff stein Date: 10/26/0717:21 GMT

Par makes an excellent point, below, in his message about Jerry Seinfeld. Seinfeld makes (at least) $60 million per year, and can buy anything he wants, for anyoccasion.

Well buying a Gulfstream V just to fly to the beach on the weekend might be a little much...

So if you happened to own a Porsche 917 or a 550 Spyder, and were going to the vintage races for a weekend, what would you wear? Let's ask for two or threeanswers:

Let's stick with 917, a little more in my era...
  • If you had to walk into a "modern" watch store, selling all the current production models, but no vintage or pre-owned, what would you select for your vintageracing weekend?
    Current Production: Probably Moonwatch, but that's just my personality, if I wanted flashy I'd go with a White Dial Rolex Daytona.
  • Now, if you had to go to OnTheDash (or let's say your favorite Omega or Breitling website) and select a vintage chronograph, for the weekend, what would itbe?

What? No Heuer's? I'd probably choose a Siffert colored Autavia of some stripe. Although a Porsche Design Orfina [or IWC] Chronograph would be nice, But those post date the 917's hayday. But if I had to stay with Omega or Breitling, I'd choose either the moonwatch or a pre-moon version of same, or a 1960;s Seamaster or a Breitling AoPA Navitimer.

• Finally, what if you could select any vintage watch, from any source -- Rolex, Patek, etc. -- whatwould you do?

Probably the same as my previously stated answer [#2]. I'd try to keep with a period timepiece. I don't know... Maybe a vintage Rolex Chronograph [pre-Daytona or Daytona] or El-Primero of some sort. I just think Seppi had the ultimate 917 driver'swatch.

Of course, the rule is that you must return your chosen watch at the end of the weekend, so profit or investment cannot be your motive!

It isn't even a motivation for me if I supply the watchl

Reply with your choice, or choices; add scans if you are so inclined; and have a great weekend, at thevintage races (or raking the leaves).

Jeff

Cheers and Good Hunting!
-- Chuck

ChuckMaddox

Chronographs, like most finer things in life,only improve with time...
Watch Article index: http://www.xnet.com/~cmaddox/cm3articles.html,
WatchLinks Page: http://www.xnet.com/~cmaddox/watch.html,
Watch Blog: http://chuckmaddoxwatch.blogspot.com/.

Non-Pasadena Pasadena Stainless 7750

Current Position
Chronocentric and zOwie site design and contents (c) Copyright 1998-2005, Derek Ziglar; Copyright 2005-2008, Jeffrey M. Stein. All rights reserved. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of the terms of use. CONTACT | TERMS OF USE | TRANSLATE