The largest independent, non-commercial, consumer-oriented resource on the Internet for owners, collectors and enthusiasts of fine wristwatches. Online since 1998.
Informational Websites ChronoMaddox -- the legacy of Chuck Maddox OnTheDash -- vintage Heuer website Zowie -- Omega information
Discussion Forums ChronoMaddox Forum Heuer Forum Omega Forum
Counterfeit Watchers ChronoTools Forum ChronoTrader Forum
Vintage Heuer Discussion Forum
The place for discussing 1930-1985 Heuer wristwatches, chronographs and dash-mounted timepieces. Online since May 2003.
OnTheDash Home What's New! Price Guide Chronographs Dash Mounted Collection
Tweak on one point, otherwise I like… Alternatives
In Response To: Let me add .... ()

Let me add ....

Posted By: Commish1999

Date: 12/7/07 20:22 GMT

In Response To: There are three ways I could explain it: (Chicagoland Chuck Maddox)

What makes a watch the Bee's Knee's (grail)? I would say the following:

1. Design (beauty) &endash; a classic design:

a. black face w/ black dail & sub's
b. white hands and indices
c. black bezel
d. stainless steel
e. Comfortable to wear

2. Utility

a. Automatic
b. As chuck says, "tough as nails"
c. Easily read (contrasting dial)
d. Chronograph
e. 24 hour indicator
f. Day & Date window
I would add to point 2c: Central Minute Chronograph Hand greatly enhances quick chronograph reading under stress.

3. Distinctiveness

a. Based on a "Legend"
b. Limited number produced
c. Outstanding movement that has been "retired"
d. Availability rare
e. Looks great with blue jeans, business suit or a tux (if you need to wear a watch with a tux).

Let face it &endash; the 376.0822 meets each and everyone of these.

I would add that while the price of the "Grail" is certainly rising, it is still a bargain in comparison to many other "high end" brands.

- this is just IMHO - scott

I like every single one of your other points. In fact I may well borrow it [with attributation] next time I update certain articles.

In wake of the desirability of the 376.0822 [Grail] Speedmaster, other brands closest equivelents are easily woth the price of admission these days:

A 510.523 in excellent shape sold for $1,500 and change at this week's Antiquorum auction [see the extended discussion over on ZOWIE for more on that auction].

The Fortis Stratoliner [precursor to the Cosmonaute line] is seen from time time on eBay [German eBay in particular] and they routinely fetch between $700-1,200 USD. This particular model has a "Poor-Man's Grail" moniker because of it's resemblence to the 376.0822 Omega Speedmaster [Grail]...

With today's ever rising vintage watch prices, it may be a good move to keep an eye on other brands similar models.

-- Chuck

Chuck Maddox

Chronographs, like most finer things in life, only improve with time...
Watch Article index: http://www.xnet.com/~cmaddox/cm3articles.html,
Watch Links Page: http://www.xnet.com/~cmaddox/watch.html,
Watch Blog: http://chuckmaddoxwatch.blogspot.com/.

Non-Pasadena Pasadena Stainless 7750

Current Position
Chronocentric and zOwie site design and contents (c) Copyright 1998-2005, Derek Ziglar; Copyright 2005-2008, Jeffrey M. Stein. All rights reserved. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of the terms of use. CONTACT | TERMS OF USE | TRANSLATE