The largest independent, non-commercial, consumer-oriented resource on the Internet for owners, collectors and enthusiasts of fine wristwatches. Online since 1998.
Informational Websites ChronoMaddox -- the legacy of Chuck Maddox OnTheDash -- vintage Heuer website Zowie -- Omega information
Discussion Forums ChronoMaddox Forum Heuer Forum Omega Forum
Counterfeit Watchers ChronoTools Forum ChronoTrader Forum
Vintage Heuer Discussion Forum
The place for discussing 1930-1985 Heuer wristwatches, chronographs and dash-mounted timepieces. Online since May 2003.
OnTheDash Home What's New! Price Guide Chronographs Dash Mounted Collection
Arrived Today: My First New Watch

Well, I finally did it. I bought a new watch . . . the first new watch that I have ever purchased (other than inexpensive running watches).

I will be writing (a lot) more about this watch and the history of the Caliber 12 movement, but wanted to share these quick photos. The quick version is that Helmut Sinn purchased the Guinand brand (after previously producing watches under the "Sinn" and "Chronosport" names), and recently acquired some unused Caliber 12 movements, dating from the 1970's. So Guinand has made a limited edition, of 100 "Buren 12 Chronomatics".

I am thrilled with the watch. Yes, it's big and fat, but the proportions seem perfect. It's a tribute to the Caliber 12 / Chronomatic movement, and this movement deserves to be in a stout case. The bezel is a killer; nice to have the screw-down pushers and crown; and did I mention the saphire back!! To me, the most unusual feature is the absence of hash marks for the minutes on the minute recorder, but you get used to that quickly . . . kind of like the Movado Museum watch!! And did I mention the nicely decorated movement, visible through the saphire back!!

Look closely, and you will see that I received my "favorite" serial number for the Chronomatic, that being "11" (the original number of the Chronomatic movement).

Jeff

Current Position
Chronocentric and zOwie site design and contents (c) Copyright 1998-2005, Derek Ziglar; Copyright 2005-2008, Jeffrey M. Stein. All rights reserved. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of the terms of use. CONTACT | TERMS OF USE | TRANSLATE