The largest independent, non-commercial, consumer-oriented resource on the Internet for owners, collectors and enthusiasts of fine wristwatches. Online since 1998.
Informational Websites ChronoMaddox -- the legacy of Chuck Maddox OnTheDash -- vintage Heuer website Zowie -- Omega information
Discussion Forums ChronoMaddox Forum Heuer Forum Omega Forum
Counterfeit Watchers ChronoTools Forum ChronoTrader Forum
Vintage Heuer Discussion Forum
The place for discussing 1930-1985 Heuer wristwatches, chronographs and dash-mounted timepieces. Online since May 2003.
OnTheDash Home What's New! Price Guide Chronographs Dash Mounted Collection
Factors Supporting the Vintage Monacos

congratulations to JM on the recent acquisition. Yes, I have seen the photos, and he has landed a killer Monaco!! [JM -- I will be happy to post the photos, on your instruction.]

I will leave it to other experts [in the newspapers and on TV] to comment on the "mega" trends that are supporting the market for collectibles, and mechanical watches in particular. Interest rates; currencies; economic activity; new money / old money / oil money / real estate money; etc.

within the world of vintage watches, I believe that the Monaco is supported by the following factors, among many others:

• unique look, that many view as 1970's era "cool"

• association with Steve McQueen, an icon of the era [check the price trend on "McQueen" Rolexes, and you will see the same pattern]

• current support from TAG-Heuer, as they market their current line of Monacos, and continue to develop this line of watches.

• mechanically robust movement, with excellent reliability and a good availibility of parts (when needed)

• scarcity of the good ones / survivors, as many of these seem to have been worn hard, and beaten up, over the years.

• . . . and did I mention the unique look, 1970's era "cool" {about which see below)!!

That's my short list!!

Jeff

Current Position
Chronocentric and zOwie site design and contents (c) Copyright 1998-2005, Derek Ziglar; Copyright 2005-2008, Jeffrey M. Stein. All rights reserved. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of the terms of use. CONTACT | TERMS OF USE | TRANSLATE