The largest independent, non-commercial, consumer-oriented resource on the Internet for owners, collectors and enthusiasts of fine wristwatches. Online since 1998.
Informational Websites ChronoMaddox -- the legacy of Chuck Maddox OnTheDash -- vintage Heuer website Zowie -- Omega information
Discussion Forums ChronoMaddox Forum Heuer Forum Omega Forum
Counterfeit Watchers ChronoTools Forum ChronoTrader Forum
Vintage Heuer Discussion Forum
The place for discussing 1930-1985 Heuer wristwatches, chronographs and dash-mounted timepieces. Online since May 2003.
OnTheDash Home What's New! Price Guide Chronographs Dash Mounted Collection
Re: As We Explore Heuer's Heritage / DNA . . .

:
: as we explore the Heritage / DNA of our old
: Heuers, it's interesting to see the
: evolution / mutations that have affected
: some of the other "classic"
: brands.

: These new Xtreme El Primeros have been
: successful, and many enthusiasts must like
: the design . . . but the more I see them,
: the more I appreciate TAG-Heuer's commitment
: to its Heritage / DNA.

Not to be contentious, but has anyone ever actually seen one on someone's wrist?

: If you were collecting the classic Zeniths (146
: movement, circa 1964, and El Primero, circa
: 1969), how would you feel when your brand
: launched these new watches?

: Jeff

Horrified -- chargrined -- irritated

Then again, I just bought a "new" El Primero. A retailer had one dating from 2003 or so, with the original sticker price still on it, and discounted heavily from that sticker as I fortuitously walked in on the last day of the fiscal year.

This was the entry level watch at the time, with a non-guilloche black dial in stainless steel.

Fortunately, Zenith still sells a version of this watch, in a larger case today. My watch is a very manageable 40mm by 13mm.

I support Chuck's idea in the ideas for 150th anniversary thread below -- wouldn't that movement look great in a tri-compax Carrera with a display back in 2010? (You know they produce it in a manual wind . . . .)

When you have watches like this, what are they thinking?

Sam

Current Position
Chronocentric and zOwie site design and contents (c) Copyright 1998-2005, Derek Ziglar; Copyright 2005-2008, Jeffrey M. Stein. All rights reserved. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of the terms of use. CONTACT | TERMS OF USE | TRANSLATE