The largest independent, non-commercial, consumer-oriented resource on the Internet for owners, collectors and enthusiasts of fine wristwatches. Online since 1998.
Informational Websites ChronoMaddox -- the legacy of Chuck Maddox OnTheDash -- vintage Heuer website Zowie -- Omega information
Discussion Forums ChronoMaddox Forum Heuer Forum Omega Forum
Counterfeit Watchers ChronoTools Forum ChronoTrader Forum
Vintage Heuer Discussion Forum
The place for discussing 1930-1985 Heuer wristwatches, chronographs and dash-mounted timepieces. Online since May 2003.
OnTheDash Home What's New! Price Guide Chronographs Dash Mounted Collection
Re: Customs duty on importing
In Response To: Re: Customs duty on importing ()

Hi Jonathan,

Yes - what the other two guys say just about covers it - it's a bit of a lucky dip...

If your item is sent via normal post it has less chance of being charged for if marked on the customs slip as a "gift" with a slightly "Non-descript" description - such as "Old Watch" or "Second-Hand Goods" rather than "Valuable 1969 Heuer Monaco Watch" and possibly a slightly under-estimated value.

Legitimately the limit before VAT is charged from non E.U. countries is £18 for "Commercial Items" (i.e. sales) and £36 for gifts between private individuals.. But our overworked Customs don't seem to be that interested on items under about £80.. With items sent between E.U. countries import duties do not usually apply.

One thing to watch-out for - stress to who ever ships it to you NOT to do what an Australian seller did to me some years ago. Sending via a courier, they though they would do me "a favour" and vastly exagerate the value for insurance on the paperwork - in case of loss... The Customs looked at the value on the docket and charged me VAT accordingly and to add insult the post office charged me eight pounds on top to collect it - some favour.. I ended up paying for the item twice over... This happened again recently at work on an item so we just declined to pay - item was shipped back to the US - and the vendor had "another try" - this time filling in the paperwork properly...

I would just like to say that like the others I of course always pay the appropriate taxes on any imported items.....

Current Position
Chronocentric and zOwie site design and contents (c) Copyright 1998-2005, Derek Ziglar; Copyright 2005-2008, Jeffrey M. Stein. All rights reserved. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of the terms of use. CONTACT | TERMS OF USE | TRANSLATE