The largest independent, non-commercial, consumer-oriented resource on the Internet for owners, collectors and enthusiasts of fine wristwatches. Online since 1998.
Informational Websites ChronoMaddox -- the legacy of Chuck Maddox OnTheDash -- vintage Heuer website Zowie -- Omega information
Discussion Forums ChronoMaddox Forum Heuer Forum Omega Forum
Counterfeit Watchers ChronoTools Forum ChronoTrader Forum
Vintage Heuer Discussion Forum
The place for discussing 1930-1985 Heuer wristwatches, chronographs and dash-mounted timepieces. Online since May 2003.
OnTheDash Home What's New! Price Guide Chronographs Dash Mounted Collection
Vintage Sport Chronograph market is on fire........

The sport chronograph market is very, very strong.

European & Asian buyers are very aggressive.

The Omega PloProf and Seamaster 600 / 1000M led the way.

The PloProf used to go for $1500 in 2003, and for a $450 service at Omega SA, it would come back new; they go for $9000 today

The Omega 1000M was always rare; sold around $3000-5000 in 2003; however it would not pass that ceiling given many would comment you could go out and buy a new Rolex Sea Dweller for that. There is one for $12,000 bid and another $18,000 BIN on ebay.

I think many have concluded on certain NOS / Grail / Cult models, if I dont buy this, it will be gone FOREVER....period.

Also, others will rationalize what they will spend an incremental few thousand on?:
-other generic modern watches,
-more mid-range filler watches to bulk the collection,
-2nd tier/used versions without NOS lustre
-or have watch-collecting inflation eat it till they find another....which may never happen.

Also, quality on ebay is a shadow of what it was 5yrs ago; so supply is vastly limited with demand expanding rapidly.

I personally learnt my lesson on a NOS Autavia GMT that i passed on for $1250 at Joseph-Gisbert weeks before 9/11. It was gone; 2 weeks later. 7 Years later have not seen another, at any price. I also passed on many PloProfs, and got 3-4 other divers for same total value, that today are 10-15% up from what i paid.

Lessons learned & not to be repeated!

Current Position
Chronocentric and zOwie site design and contents (c) Copyright 1998-2005, Derek Ziglar; Copyright 2005-2008, Jeffrey M. Stein. All rights reserved. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of the terms of use. CONTACT | TERMS OF USE | TRANSLATE