The largest independent, non-commercial, consumer-oriented resource on the Internet for owners, collectors and enthusiasts of fine wristwatches. Online since 1998.
Informational Websites ChronoMaddox -- the legacy of Chuck Maddox OnTheDash -- vintage Heuer website Zowie -- Omega information
Discussion Forums ChronoMaddox Forum Heuer Forum Omega Forum
Counterfeit Watchers ChronoTools Forum ChronoTrader Forum
Vintage Heuer Discussion Forum
The place for discussing 1930-1985 Heuer wristwatches, chronographs and dash-mounted timepieces. Online since May 2003.
OnTheDash Home What's New! Price Guide Chronographs Dash Mounted Collection
Re: Value of Box, Papers, Bracelet and Receipt; Maybe 50%

: There will never be a clear cut rule to say just how much a matched
: set of extra's will add to a watch. There is just such variation
: in the availability of some items. eg. how many bead of rice
: bracelets are for sale on auction compared to to say Monaco
: bracelets. Although the recent Monaco sale attracted a
: significant number of bidders and a high sale price, a great
: deal of the sale value fell upon the fact that this watch wasn't
: just mint, it was absolutely unworn ! It makes me wonder how
: much the watch and strap would have sold for without all the
: box/papers ?

: - Darren

My personal view is that a box and papers are nice, but really add little value for me, unless the box is historically significant or collectible in its on right. But I am not a devotee of Heuers to the degree of this group.

I can't wear the box or the papers . . . . perhaps it would add 5-10% for me.

However, the other aspect is that box and papers are not just accessories and ephemera; they can be proof (or support) of validity and originality of the watch. That aspect might cause me to add 20% to the price I was willing to pay.

But I will keep in mind what to ask for at resale . . . :)

Sam aka Hewybaby

Current Position
Chronocentric and zOwie site design and contents (c) Copyright 1998-2005, Derek Ziglar; Copyright 2005-2008, Jeffrey M. Stein. All rights reserved. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of the terms of use. CONTACT | TERMS OF USE | TRANSLATE