The largest independent, non-commercial, consumer-oriented resource on the Internet for owners, collectors and enthusiasts of fine wristwatches. Online since 1998.
Informational Websites ChronoMaddox -- the legacy of Chuck Maddox OnTheDash -- vintage Heuer website Zowie -- Omega information
Discussion Forums ChronoMaddox Forum Heuer Forum Omega Forum
Counterfeit Watchers ChronoTools Forum ChronoTrader Forum
Vintage Heuer Discussion Forum
The place for discussing 1930-1985 Heuer wristwatches, chronographs and dash-mounted timepieces. Online since May 2003.
OnTheDash Home What's New! Price Guide Chronographs Dash Mounted Collection
My Analysis

here are my thoughts relating to this one.

the things I like about this one:

• it is a great looking watch; as much as we all like the red / blue for the GMT bezel, this all-black bezel looks really great, to my eye; the black-on-black dial, black inner ring, and black bezel look really strong!!

• the condition seems to be amazing . . . bright clean case and a bright clean movement . . . wow and wow again

• seller has good feedback, and seems to be certain that it is original

and now for the things that I don't like about this one

• we have never seen this variation (or any black bezel on an Autavia GMT)

• I have tried a couple of good sources, and they are unable to confirm or deny that Heuer ever produced such a watch; maybe if we had more time, then I would be able to authenticate this watch; given the short duration of the auction, this will not be possible

• a collector friend in South America tells me that there are more Autavias marked for Argentina Air Force than there are airplanes . . . so buyers should be cautious . . . lots of these case-backs floating around

Based on all this, I am "passing" on this auction . . . if we are able to identify this one, then it would be great to have it in the OTD family . . . but I am not willing to risk $1,800 on this possibility. maybe someone else will take the chance and end up with cool looking, rare chrono!!

Jeff

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
: http://cgi.ebay.ca/HEUER-AUTAVIA-GMT-ARGENTINA-AIR-FORCE-CHRONOGRAPH-CAL14_W0QQitemZ390004551203QQcmdZViewItem?hash=item390004551203&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=72
: %3A1215%7C66%3A2%7C65%3A12%7C39%3A1%7C240%3A1318

: Is this watch right or is it made up? I am not the seller but am
: interested in bidding. Thanks!

Current Position
Chronocentric and zOwie site design and contents (c) Copyright 1998-2005, Derek Ziglar; Copyright 2005-2008, Jeffrey M. Stein. All rights reserved. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of the terms of use. CONTACT | TERMS OF USE | TRANSLATE