The largest independent, non-commercial, consumer-oriented resource on the Internet for owners, collectors and enthusiasts of fine wristwatches. Online since 1998.
Informational Websites ChronoMaddox -- the legacy of Chuck Maddox OnTheDash -- vintage Heuer website Zowie -- Omega information
Discussion Forums ChronoMaddox Forum Heuer Forum Omega Forum
Counterfeit Watchers ChronoTools Forum ChronoTrader Forum
Vintage Heuer Discussion Forum
The place for discussing 1930-1985 Heuer wristwatches, chronographs and dash-mounted timepieces. Online since May 2003.
OnTheDash Home What's New! Price Guide Chronographs Dash Mounted Collection
Here is What I Posted on Another Forum / May be Interesting

I posted the following on Timezone. The Timezone moderators have tended to delete these threads at a certain point, as the "Obama watch" messages have drawn some strange responses, but I think that it is interesting, so here it is:

Various aspects of President Obama's watch have been discussed recently with mixed reactions from [Timezone readers], but there is another aspect that might be interesting to discuss. And that is the question of what readers believe these watches to be worth (i.e., the 12 that were made with the Secret Service shield on the dial).

Currently, there are lots of folks selling the Jorg Gray JCG6500 chronograph, through all the usual channels. But none of them are able to sell the "real thing", the same version that Obama is wearing, with the Secret Service shield.

So what are estimates of the value that one of these 12 might bring, if it were to be sold at auction? I am assuming that some [Timezone readers] will respond with jokes and ridicule, but I believe that it is an interesting "valuation problem" -- a $150 watch (at wholesale), which is worn by the President of the United States, and has been viewed and admired by many observers, of which there are exactly 12 genuine samples.

So what are they worth?

Jeff

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

: Hi Jeff, interesting post indeed. I've had a peek at the auction
: just for fun and I'm not sure, but doesn'it it have a quartz
: movement?
: If so, we're talking more than a thousand bucks for a quartz
: powered watch? Glamorous as the connection may be, it's a
: ridiculous sum IMO.
: Cheers.
: Fabrizio

Current Position
Chronocentric and zOwie site design and contents (c) Copyright 1998-2005, Derek Ziglar; Copyright 2005-2008, Jeffrey M. Stein. All rights reserved. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of the terms of use. CONTACT | TERMS OF USE | TRANSLATE