The largest independent, non-commercial, consumer-oriented resource on the Internet for owners, collectors and enthusiasts of fine wristwatches. Online since 1998.
Informational Websites ChronoMaddox -- the legacy of Chuck Maddox OnTheDash -- vintage Heuer website Zowie -- Omega information
Discussion Forums ChronoMaddox Forum Heuer Forum Omega Forum
Counterfeit Watchers ChronoTools Forum ChronoTrader Forum
Vintage Heuer Discussion Forum
The place for discussing 1930-1985 Heuer wristwatches, chronographs and dash-mounted timepieces. Online since May 2003.
OnTheDash Home What's New! Price Guide Chronographs Dash Mounted Collection
I'll Believe It When I See It

Like any other watch manufacturer, I would think that Heuer produced some relatively strange pieces over the years, perhaps with varying combinations of different elements from different chronos. Trying to track the different combinations of dials, hands, bezels, cases, case-backs, etc. just for the Autavia has been challenging.

I am still very skeptical that Heuer ever produced the combination that you describe -- Montreal dial in Autavia case. I am not aware of any instance in which Heuer interchanged dials and cases in this manner.

This reminds of the stories that you hear from Detroit -- engineers and designers at the big three automobile manufacturers, staying late at night and playing with the parts bins. Sure, a couple of engineers might have stayed late a few nights and cut some metal to stuff a Ford 427 engine (from a Mustang) under the hood of a Pinto, but I don't think that it would be considered a genuine Ford. (Of course, if they did it during the day, as part of their jobs, then it becomes a rare prototype!) If a mechanic did the same transplant 30 years later, we can be even more certain that it is not a genuine Ford.

I'll believe it when I see some better evidence, but it seems very unlikely.

Jeff

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

: Following the forums useful advice I re-visited
: the jeweler in question who assures me that
: there is actual proof that this version of a
: Montreal in an Autavia case did exist. I
: await copy of a magazine artical however has
: anybody else heard of such a version. Its
: beginning to worry me slightly.
: The watch has Viceroy hands and black Montreal
: main dial (including the name / logo)with
: white (yellow markers) Montreal sub dials.

: Any further advice would be greatly
: appreciated, sorry I'am unable to get a
: photo onto the site at this time.

: Mark

Current Position
Chronocentric and zOwie site design and contents (c) Copyright 1998-2005, Derek Ziglar; Copyright 2005-2008, Jeffrey M. Stein. All rights reserved. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of the terms of use. CONTACT | TERMS OF USE | TRANSLATE