The largest independent, non-commercial, consumer-oriented resource on the Internet for owners, collectors and enthusiasts of fine wristwatches. Online since 1998.
Informational Websites ChronoMaddox -- the legacy of Chuck Maddox OnTheDash -- vintage Heuer website Zowie -- Omega information
Discussion Forums ChronoMaddox Forum Heuer Forum Omega Forum
Counterfeit Watchers ChronoTools Forum ChronoTrader Forum
Vintage Heuer Discussion Forum
The place for discussing 1930-1985 Heuer wristwatches, chronographs and dash-mounted timepieces. Online since May 2003.
OnTheDash Home What's New! Price Guide Chronographs Dash Mounted Collection
Occam's Razor

You know I have always been a "believer" in these Autavias as they just look "right" in the metal. In contrast, when I first saw one of the crude dubious Monacos we have all debated it just looked "wrong". Of course we can't really trust these instincts, often things that look "wrong" are proved to be correct - I'm thinking of the IDF 1163 Autavia with white hands in Arno's book, to me, that just looks wrong, but I believe Arno's provenance and research much more than my instincts.

So if I can't trust "rightness", what about using Occam's Razor? As I interpret it, this is the idea that if you have two competing theories, the simpler one with less assumptions is more likely to be true.
Or in latin "entia non sunt multiplicanda praeter necessitatem" (actually, I have no idea what that means, but Wikipedia says it is correct, so it must be).

In the case of the numeric Autavias, there are two possibilities:
1) Heuer produced them, but they were never shown in any catalog (not the only Heuer version where this is true)
2) some faker made a production run of these weird Autavia dials. There are too many of them around to be hand made. Not only did he make up his own dial and not copy an existing dial (a bizarre choice for a professional faker), but he also decided to make them in both two register and three register versions (why would you do that?).

(2) just sounds too convoluted to believe.

And finally, as Toni says... they look cool.

Current Position
Chronocentric and zOwie site design and contents (c) Copyright 1998-2005, Derek Ziglar; Copyright 2005-2008, Jeffrey M. Stein. All rights reserved. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of the terms of use. CONTACT | TERMS OF USE | TRANSLATE