The largest independent, non-commercial, consumer-oriented resource on the Internet for owners, collectors and enthusiasts of fine wristwatches. Online since 1998.
Informational Websites ChronoMaddox -- the legacy of Chuck Maddox OnTheDash -- vintage Heuer website Zowie -- Omega information
Discussion Forums ChronoMaddox Forum Heuer Forum Omega Forum
Counterfeit Watchers ChronoTools Forum ChronoTrader Forum
Vintage Heuer Discussion Forum
The place for discussing 1930-1985 Heuer wristwatches, chronographs and dash-mounted timepieces. Online since May 2003.
OnTheDash Home What's New! Price Guide Chronographs Dash Mounted Collection
I Prefer the Term "Discriminating Collector"!!
In Response To: A tale of an idiot? ()

Shaun

Maybe this is a case of birds (idiots) of a feather flocking together or misery loves company, but I would not be too hard on your self for your recent Autavia GMT purchase. While I agree with Jeff that most bring $1000-1200 this is obviously not your average piece. This is also why I like the idea of a "Relative Scarcity" table but without any $ values assigned

Like you I am incredibly picky about what I put in my collection and recently I paid $1175 for an original mint-cond. Monaco bracelet. Is this as "off the radar", or "over the top" as your GMT purchase? Or perhaps is it "Just what you have to pay when you want the best".

I think what some of your critcs have overlooked is the fact that this was an auction. For you to win the item at $2,200 someone else must have bid $2199 which was more than someone elses $2198 and so on...

In my case e-bay hysteria/bidding war was not a factor because the next highest bid was placed from a single bidder (sniper) with less than one minute left in the auction.

A few years ago I purchased a near NOS Autavia Viceroy from the original owner, box, book, papers, strap, buckle, everything complete and perfect for right at $500. And I remember thinking that this was probably every dime this piece was worth. I'm also old enough to remember when gas was .40 a gallon and you could buy a new Rolex Sub or Gmt for $300. Those days are all gone and I really doubt if they are coming back!!

With all due respect to my old friend Charles R. whose friendship and advice I truly value; I think you need to admit that the interest in vintage Heuers has recently taken off and the days of high condition and low prices are gone. Is this good or bad? I don't know; I do know that my meager collection is now probably worth twice what I paid for it. But I also know that this means I will be watching from the bench a lot more now rather than getting in the game and buying. Global economics via the depressed US $ vs the Euro, increased demand and a constantly diminishing supply are why Shaun and I both paid a premium for our recent purchases.

My feeling is that this is what I do for fun. This is not how I make a living (thank God) and as fun it has an associated cost. If the watch makes you happy and you didn't have to skip this months mortgage payment, then more power to you. The watch is beautiful, I'm jealous, Wear it in good health.

Best
Mike

Current Position
Chronocentric and zOwie site design and contents (c) Copyright 1998-2005, Derek Ziglar; Copyright 2005-2008, Jeffrey M. Stein. All rights reserved. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of the terms of use. CONTACT | TERMS OF USE | TRANSLATE