The largest independent, non-commercial, consumer-oriented resource on the Internet for owners, collectors and enthusiasts of fine wristwatches. Online since 1998.
Informational Websites ChronoMaddox -- the legacy of Chuck Maddox OnTheDash -- vintage Heuer website Zowie -- Omega information
Discussion Forums ChronoMaddox Forum Heuer Forum Omega Forum
Counterfeit Watchers ChronoTools Forum ChronoTrader Forum
Vintage Heuer Discussion Forum
The place for discussing 1930-1985 Heuer wristwatches, chronographs and dash-mounted timepieces. Online since May 2003.
OnTheDash Home What's New! Price Guide Chronographs Dash Mounted Collection
Re: Tino: Your Photo Raises Bigger Question / Red Edged Hand

Hi Jeff,
i think that Nic recently sold a monaco with the exact same hands - on this forum i saw a grey on also using the same hands.
i think they must be some sort of original - transitional or replacement?

serial number of these are:

160360 for the one on the strap (although i think must be a later dial if you look at the typography)
161551 for the one the bracelet (maybe the cases mixed up during production/ assembling)? *pls see my packing therory on the bottom

if you look on the grey/grey version vs the grey/black versions:
grey/grey dials seem to also have the narrow numbers in the grey registers
grey/black dials seem to always have the wider numbers in the minute register

also interesting is the differnce in the monaco logo fonts (maybe a bit hard to see on my blury photo)
older dials seem to have a wider A and a more closed C in the word monaco
vs newer dials have a more open C (maybe for improved reading?) and a pointier A

very interesting discussion
best wishes

Tino

* a simple, stupid but somehow logical theory for sometimes misleading serial numbers could be:
if i were a case producer back in the days i would pack up the lower serial numbers first and put in a box and put the higher serial numbers on top.
if i would have assembeled heuer watches back in the days i would unpack the box and assemble the higher serial numbers first.
this could explain the somewhat grey areas, especially on transitional watch components ... back in the days!

: Tino:

: this is an interesting point about the fonts, and we can try to
: study with more samples, etc.

: but your photo raises the much bigger question, as follows: what
: are these red-edged Monaco hands? are they transitional,
: between the polished steel hands (with squared tips) and the
: brushed steel hands, with triangular tips (in which case, the
: serial numbers should be in a tight range)?

: are they replacement hands, in which instance we might expect to
: see them on Monacos with a broad range of serial numbers?
: An interesting point for discussion / data gathering!!

: Jeff

:

:

:

:
: ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Current Position
Chronocentric and zOwie site design and contents (c) Copyright 1998-2005, Derek Ziglar; Copyright 2005-2008, Jeffrey M. Stein. All rights reserved. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of the terms of use. CONTACT | TERMS OF USE | TRANSLATE