The largest independent, non-commercial, consumer-oriented resource on the Internet for owners, collectors and enthusiasts of fine wristwatches. Online since 1998.
Informational Websites ChronoMaddox -- the legacy of Chuck Maddox OnTheDash -- vintage Heuer website Zowie -- Omega information
Discussion Forums ChronoMaddox Forum Heuer Forum Omega Forum
Counterfeit Watchers ChronoTools Forum ChronoTrader Forum
Vintage Heuer Discussion Forum
The place for discussing 1930-1985 Heuer wristwatches, chronographs and dash-mounted timepieces. Online since May 2003.
OnTheDash Home What's New! Price Guide Chronographs Dash Mounted Collection
Re: Help is needed with carrera

Yep, that's better, thanks.

The pushers on an 1153 should be fluted - the top one in the photo looks correct, but the bottom one looks like it might be a smooth round pusher so would need to be replaced for originality.

As for the hands, we see three types on hands on these - the early ones have brushed steel hands with a thin black insert, later ones either have a black surround (on the silver dial) or a grey surround like these ones (on the charcoal and blue dials). It's quite hard to photograph but the black line on the hand doesn't quite fill the area between the surround, you should be able to see some brushed steel too - particularly on the hour hand, where the line is slimmer.

On the basis that a picture is worth a thousand words, the following should better show what I mean:

It's on a 1553 but the same hands were carried over for that, and this shot hopefully demonstrates what I'm talking about.

To summarise, I reckon the hands are ok and the photograph just doesn't show the detail because of the lighting - these hands can look like they have solid black inserts in real life in certain light too.

Looks like there is some wear to the case around 1 o'clock and the wording and numbering on the inner bezel has partly worn off.

So those are all bargaining points on price if you did decide to go for it:

- Incorrect lower pusher
- Worn text on the inner bezel
- Case wear in a (somewhat) difficult to refinish case (the ring around the glass is polished, the rest of the case is brushed)

If the price reflects those issues, and/or you can live with them in a "wearer", then go for it. If not, then 1153s do turn up fairly often, so you could wait for a nicer one. It is a handsome watch, and one of my favourite Heuers :)

Current Position
Chronocentric and zOwie site design and contents (c) Copyright 1998-2005, Derek Ziglar; Copyright 2005-2008, Jeffrey M. Stein. All rights reserved. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of the terms of use. CONTACT | TERMS OF USE | TRANSLATE